Tropical Cockroaches are Illegal In Canada!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germ

Hatchling Member
After recently hearing more & more about the legalities of keeping Cockroaches in Canada. I did an inquiry concerning Discoids & just today received the following reply, much to my dismay ...

Hello Germain,

Exotic cockroaches are only allowed into Canada for research or display in educational facilities like insectariums, butterfly houses and museums. Presently, we do not allow import of exotic cockroaches for commercial sale and distribution. We have the same policy for exotic stick insects and mantids as well as tropical butterflies.

If you wish to set up an insectarium or educational display, you will require an approved facility. Certain Canadian citizens with approved facilities do have colonies of exotic insects but they are not permitted to move, sell or distribute them.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact:

Douglas J. Parker, B.Sc., M.Sc.
(613) 759-6908 / [email protected] / Facsimile/Télécopier: (613) 759-6938
Head, Entomology - Ottawa Plant Laboratories, C.F.I.A.
Chef, entomologie - laboratoires des plantes d'Ottawa, A.C.I.A.
Bldg. 18 / édif. 18
960 Carling Ave/ 960, avenue Carling/ Ottawa CANADA K1A 0C6

Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Web Inquiries Team

On a separate inquiry on existing CB colonies,

Hello Germain,

As you know, there is a large underground system for the exchange and sale of exotic insects, diplopods, molluscs, reptiles, amphibians and almost anything that is prohibited. We realize this and our inspectors regularly seize these non-permitted species from pet stores and citizens --- anyone who is in possession of exotic arthropods without a permit or an approved facility is doing so against our regulations. Colonies of exotic sticks and mantids, cockroaches and millipedes that are held outside of approved facilities are illegal. And we will continue to seize these organisms until the regulations are changed. This country is plagued by exotic invasive organisms -- plants and animals. No exotic organisms should be introduced into Canada without a thorough risk assessment as to the impact on the Canadian environment and agriculture.

If you require further information, please do not hesitate in contacting us.

Regards, DJP.

Douglas J. Parker, B.Sc., M.Sc.
(613) 759-6908 / [email protected] / Facsimile/Télécopier: (613) 759-6938
Head, Entomology - Ottawa Plant Laboratories, C.F.I.A.
Chef, entomologie - laboratoires des plantes d'Ottawa, A.C.I.A.
Bldg. 18 / édif. 18
960 Carling Ave/ 960, avenue Carling/ Ottawa CANADA K1A 0C6

So a Heads up to the rest of you out there, this applies to all Tropical Cockroaches ...

Germain

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No problem .. thought you might of been, but wasn't sure.

Have a good one,
Germain

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hmm, that was cool that you were at least able to get in contact with someone who explained everything.

I didn't know it was as strict as that, I thought all you needed was a permit. I guess not haha.

-Brandon

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vandoobies":12o6ojh8 said:
GREAT POST!! not. Who cares?
To answer your Question ...

Anybody who keeps them as feeders for their reptiles in Canada, it may not mean anything to you, but it will to some. Simply to get the info out there, as many are not aware of it, I know I was not, at least not for sure, thought it was just rumours.

Don't understand the point of your post, added absolutely nothing to the thread. If you have no concerns about this issue, there is no reason to post as you did. If the issue doesn't mean anything to you, then the thread shouldn't either. Some people may not want to put their collections at risk of confiscation or worse.

Have a good one, and then one for me :wink: ,
Germain

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
You can still order dubias online...I just did a few days ago from a guy in Ontario. He has all sorts of roaches. I would not try to order from south of the border, but it seems quite easy to get them within Canada. It will be my third shipment in two-three years and never had a problem finding suppliers, and I am not the type to go really into the "underground system" that governement guy talks about!

Anyone got "inspected"?

Germ

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am aware that they are easily accessible, I also acquired mine from a source in Ontario 4-5 years ago, but was not aware for sure about the actual legality of them until this query to the Government. I have only heard of one instance of confiscation & the owner had his legal reptile collection confiscated along with them, but later got the legal critters back. The point of this is to give a 'Heads Up' to those that are/were unaware, as I was, what is done with this info is completely up to them.

G.

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
You are right, until I read your thread, I had only heard rumors about roaches being illegal in Canada. But since I was not sure, I made a point not to advertise (outside the herp people) that I have dubias. When my kids present the dragons in school, they say they eat insects and vegetables, and when asked what kind of insects they say worms (which is true).
I will keep staying low-profile!

Pixall

Sub-Adult Member
forgive me, as I am ignorant of such matters, but isn't Canada... cold? :oops: If so then how can dubias be invasive? :?:

isabelleandpaul

Juvie Member
You're right, they don't have what it takes to live in Canada! I had a few that escaped their bin, and usually they can't even get across the room, they just stop and "hibernate" until I put them back in the bin...
But some parts of Canada are warmer...in the summer.

Nixiemaiden

Hatchling Member
That is strange that they would be considered a possible threat in Canada. Where I live (FL) most roaches are illegal as well but I can totally understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom