Maaan, do roaches play dead? }:

Status
Not open for further replies.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Today when I woke up it was like Christmas, all four of my shipments came in :D

One of which being my mixed 500 dubias!
Unfortunately, when I opened up my roaches and moved them into my feeder bin, I noticed many of them on their backs. One of these little monster, I examined, had his head bitten off. But the others seem perfectly fine. Some of them look pretty meaty, and the others are a tiny bit thin. But I can't tell whether they are (hopefully) playing dead and will eventually snap to it or not? Some of them have moved their legs a little, but for the most part they are laying on their backs looking dead.
This is the problem with half of my roaches, the other half is acting normal and healthy either hiding in my crates or eating/drinking. What do you think? I feel like I've wasted my money and got really excited for these roaches to come in for no reason.
I'm guess I'm going to give the back-bugs some time to hopefully redeem themselves and then I guess pull them out and try to feed them to my beardies and throw them away if they won't eat them. Whatchya think? Has this ever happened to you?
P.S. Is it alright that I still try to feed my beardies insects even if they are dead? Sometimes they eat it, sometimes they don't.

Denduran87

Juvie Member
i would contact the seller of the roaches and let them know what your shipment looked like many place will replace lost or even send a free order.

Awesome

Hatchling Member
I have a colony (pretty new) and they play dead all the time. One was on its back for 5 days straight. I wouldn't worry too much, unless it's a constant thing. Mine are always hiding, they're never eating/drinking when I open up the top. I only see them for a split second before they scatter from the light. At least you have some that still eat even in your presence. I've never seen mine eat.

If a lot turned out dead and you have less than 500 live ones, you should ask for a new shipment. Usually sellers will add in some extras just to ensure fulfillment.

As for feeding dead roaches, it depends. If you think they might be diseased, then don't do it. If they've been dead for only a few hours, I'd say it's fine. But to be safe, you should feed only live. Who knows what bacteria each roach could be harboring in its stomach that caused its death? You'd be passing that onto your BD.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh crap. I've been feeding them the dead ones and they've been dead for a lot longer than a few hours :shock:

Awesome

Hatchling Member
It's a risk, but that doesn't mean something bad's gonna happen. If your lizard shows signs of sickness, take it to the vet.

reillyrebekahann

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I threw them away, dead roaches is just too gross for me to have hanging around. I was looking for an excuse to throw them away, so thanks for that ^_^

Yes! I did email her! And she was very sweet about it, apologized, and said she packaged them too tightly. Said she'd send a new order Monday! {: What a good bday gift for me and Gilbert {:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom