Apple Sauce... noob question

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby jamiedennis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:56 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

So Ive been feeding my Beardie apples and he loves them!!! I figured Id give him some applesauce since its moister and can coat other things he wont normally eat...

After doing a search I discovered that it aids in pooping... I normally feed him sliced apple a few times a week, and that doesnt aid in his pooping - or not that I can see. He normally goes about 3 - 5 times a week depending on what I feed him.

Would adding applesauce be advisable :?: Or should I omit it :?:

Hes pretty active, loves to run around the house, eats his fruits and veggies, and his feeders, so Im not sure if its wise to add the sauce...

Thanks
jamiedennis
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 am

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:31 am

Fruit really isn't good to feed often, its high in natural sugar. Twice a week is ok and it doesn't really matter if you feed slices or sauce. If your dragon is a adult, going 3-5 times a week is perfectly normal.
User avatar
Gail
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: North Idaho

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby jamiedennis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:45 am

Gail wrote:Fruit really isn't good to feed often, its high in natural sugar. Twice a week is ok and it doesn't really matter if you feed slices or sauce. If your dragon is a adult, going 3-5 times a week is perfectly normal.


What other veggies then would you suggest???
I live in Canada so right now its kind of hard for me to find anything fresh aside from collard greens. Ive checked all my local grocers and cant find mustard greens, kale, endive, etc. I can get squash - but only certain kinds, and I dont think they are the type my Beardie needs...

Thanks.
jamiedennis
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 am

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby Gail » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:04 am

Here a list of food and how often they should be fed.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I have trouble finding veggies around here too, I usually have to buy organic since they carry more variety. You can feed any kind of hard squash, I usually get butternut. You can grate it with a cheese grater since it can be really hard to cut.
User avatar
Gail
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 7792
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: North Idaho

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby jamiedennis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 am

Gail wrote:Here a list of food and how often they should be fed.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

I have trouble finding veggies around here too, I usually have to buy organic since they carry more variety. You can feed any kind of hard squash, I usually get butternut. You can grate it with a cheese grater since it can be really hard to cut.



Thats the list I go by as well - well, I try to go by...
I have checked the organic sections in my stores and havent had luck there - I will have to try and find a whole organic store and see if I have any luck there....
jamiedennis
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 am

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby ziggy23 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:43 am

If push came to shove you can always go with frozen veggies. I believe some nutrition is lost, but some is better than nothing. And it will keep them in the habit of eating them as well.
Image
ziggy23
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby valcash » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

jamiedennis wrote:
Gail wrote:Ive checked all my local grocers and cant find mustard greens, kale, endive, etc. I can get squash - but only certain kinds, and I dont think they are the type my Beardie needs...

Thanks.

Try Whole Foods http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/index-4.php
User avatar
valcash
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:20 pm

Re: Apple Sauce... noob question

Postby jamiedennis » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:28 am

valcash wrote:
jamiedennis wrote:
Gail wrote:Ive checked all my local grocers and cant find mustard greens, kale, endive, etc. I can get squash - but only certain kinds, and I dont think they are the type my Beardie needs...

Thanks.

Try Whole Foods http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/index-4.php



I dont have a Whole Foods in my area... But that would have been a great place to go if I had one near by...
jamiedennis
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:26 am


Return to Feeders

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users