What is This? Not an Egg sack!

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Prodigyitachi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 am

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I was cleaning my Dubia roach bin and I notice one of my female have this yellow looking bubble coming out of her butt. Anyone have any idea what is this? So far i isolated her, is it safe to put her pack into bin.
Image
Image
User avatar
Prodigyitachi
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Ny

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Sapphire » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:01 am

I wouldn't put her back in the bin. Another user posted here a while back with a picture of a female dubia with strange white stuff coming out of her, and someone said it is her internal organs I think, and the roach ended up dying a few days later. I'm not sure if this is the same thing since I'm definitely not a roach expert, but I would definitely keep her separate from the rest.
Image
User avatar
Sapphire
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Prodigyitachi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:52 am

Thats so weird. If it is her internal organs why would it end up all out and stuff. EWWW Nasty~
User avatar
Prodigyitachi
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Ny

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby luvanimals » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:27 pm

She might have been squished or maybe had some egg laying issues?
luvanimals
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:09 am

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby BWilson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:55 pm

It's Casper, the friendly cling-on! lol......
Image
BWilson
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:19 am

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Prodigyitachi » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:03 pm

haha. The female dubia is still alive :shock: . Most likely I prob squished it w/ the egg crates. Sad, wish it was a male or male nymph.
User avatar
Prodigyitachi
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Ny

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Sapphire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Prodigyitachi wrote:haha. The female dubia is still alive :shock: . Most likely I prob squished it w/ the egg crates. Sad, wish it was a male or male nymph.


It is sad. If your dragon is big enough you might as well feed her off, I don't think she'll be having any more babies ever again so there's no real point in keeping her in your colony.
Image
User avatar
Sapphire
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Prodigyitachi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:36 pm

My beardie is 1 month away from being one year :D so she prob cant handle any adults yet. For some reason i feel sad feeding off the female or any female :shock: . I don't feel anything when i feed of my nymphs (beardie) or male (RES turtle). Whats wrong w/ me, i mean its just roaches :P.
Oh I found one female today that have her egg sack sticking out but its all curled up at the end like a "P", not even straight. Sorry don't have pic of that since i didnt want to move any egg crates around.
User avatar
Prodigyitachi
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Ny

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Sapphire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Prodigyitachi wrote:My beardie is 1 month away from being one year :D so she prob cant handle any adults yet. For some reason i feel sad feeding off the female or any female :shock: . I don't feel anything when i feed of my nymphs (beardie) or male (RES turtle). Whats wrong w/ me, i mean its just roaches :P.
Oh I found one female today that have her egg sack sticking out but its all curled up at the end like a "P", not even straight. Sorry don't have pic of that since i didnt want to move any egg crates around.


Someone told me that a beardie can eat an adult dubia once it reaches the 16" mark but it's probably a good idea to wait until she's a year old, just to be safe. So I guess you just have a pet female dubia with white goop hanging out her bum. :mrgreen:
Image
User avatar
Sapphire
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby tedrickrumohr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Dubias bear live young.... They don't have egg sacks...
"Leaders aren't born. They're made like everything else, through hard work."
User avatar
tedrickrumohr
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Prodigyitachi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:26 pm

tedrickrumohr wrote:Dubias bear live young.... They don't have egg sacks...

I know they bear live youngs. They do have Egg sacks.
User avatar
Prodigyitachi
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Ny

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby tedrickrumohr » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:04 pm

Prodigyitachi wrote:
tedrickrumohr wrote:Dubias bear live young.... They don't have egg sacks...

I know they bear live youngs. They do have Egg sacks.


Inside of them, I guess she just decided to an abortion! Haha
"Leaders aren't born. They're made like everything else, through hard work."
User avatar
tedrickrumohr
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 186
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Trogdorpheus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:46 pm

That's not an eggsac... so no.

Dubia have a much softer chitin than many feeders, so nearing the 1 year mark you'd be plenty fine feeding adults to your beardie (assuming normal growth of your beardie). My girl has been eating adult discoids for about 2 months now, and she's maybe 10 months, and 17.5 - 18" now.

As for them bearing live young... technically speaking they don't. They fertilize an egg, which is transferred to basically an internal incubator inside of the female dubia. Then when they hatch, they come back out of the female, giving the appearance of live birth, where technically they were egg born, it's just the egg was carried around for the entire duration.
Matt
Trogdorpheus
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:30 am
Location: Indiana

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Prodigyitachi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:13 pm

Trogdorpheus wrote:That's not an eggsac... so no.

Dubia have a much softer chitin than many feeders, so nearing the 1 year mark you'd be plenty fine feeding adults to your beardie (assuming normal growth of your beardie). My girl has been eating adult discoids for about 2 months now, and she's maybe 10 months, and 17.5 - 18" now.

As for them bearing live young... technically speaking they don't. They fertilize an egg, which is transferred to basically an internal incubator inside of the female dubia. Then when they hatch, they come back out of the female, giving the appearance of live birth, where technically they were egg born, it's just the egg was carried around for the entire duration.

As title says "Not an egg sack"
User avatar
Prodigyitachi
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Ny

Re: What is This? Not an Egg sack!

Postby Trogdorpheus » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Not talking to you.
Matt
Trogdorpheus
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:30 am
Location: Indiana

Next

Return to Feeders

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: htsht8, MHannaman