Buying cricket egg cartons? And cricket death

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixxmum

Hatchling Member
Our eggs come in a recycled plastic container, or foam, so I never have extra cardboard cartons to use for the crickets and the ones they ship with are not enough. Is there someplace to buy them?

And, why do I have so many dang dead crickets? We got an order of 1000 on Tuesday. Today is Friday. The lizards probably ate about 150 Tuesday, 225 Wednesday, 225 Thursday, and 150 today. So, right now, I am almost out of live crickets, but there are at least 250 dead crickets in the container. I can't get the kids to clean it every day and I don't have time with my work schedule. They are being fed cricket food from reptilefood.com and we have a chick waterer. They have egg crates, plenty of ventilation, and the temps are good. If I buy 2000 at a time, we still go through them in a week because of the die offs.

kinky

You could always improvise and use something instead of egg cartons. After all, they're only looking for somewhere to hide, not specifically egg cartons.

I can't help on the mortality issue though :banghead:

jortiz9758

Sub-Adult Member
What I use are the empty cardboard toilet paper rolls and the empty paper towel rolls....The larger rolls I cut in half....works perfect!

As for the dead crickets....What seemed to help me with the dead crickets was when I switched over to the "Orange Cubes"...it works fantastic as an all in one feeder for my crickets....I just throw a few in , and they have all the food water and vitamins they need in one magic orange cube. :D
And only a very few die off.

kinky

sixxmum":4bb8d said:
Our eggs come in a recycled plastic container, or foam, so I never have extra cardboard cartons to use for the crickets and the ones they ship with are not enough. Is there someplace to buy them?

Just stumbled upon this and thought of you :) $5 for 5 egg flats if i remember correctly...

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=98458 f=2 ]

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Also check diners, they get their eggs in bulk, and they come in ?? You guessed it, egg crates ! Just ask them to hold the days egg crates, and you will have more than enough !!
And, free !
Janie.

sixxmum

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas, Janie, and for the bump, Kinky! I never read the dubia posts, so I would definitely not have seen it otherwise!

cackums

Grocery stores. when they get their apples, the boxes that contain them have a somewhat egg carton in them, which they just throw anyway anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom