superworms: staple diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEARDIE144

Hatchling Member
i was thinking as using superworms as a staple diet can you do that also my beardie is 16 inches is that the right length for my beardie to eat them? please respond.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Start out with feeding a few and makes sure they all pass, double check the basking temps and make sure they are correct. You shouldnt see any shell left in the poop.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Supers do fine as a staple bug as long as your dragon is large enough and has no problems digesting them. As with any bug, it's always best if you can offer a variety of different feeders. As mentioned above, start your dragon off slowly, with only 2 or 3 the first day. As long as he poops okay the next day and everything has been digested well, gradually increase the number he gets each day until you hit your target amount.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't feed them as an everyday meal, but they are definitely good every now and then. Because they are high in phosphorus they can throw off the Ca:p ratio, so make sure you are giving calcium supplements. Like they said above, some beardies (young ones and formerly abused) have a bit of trouble digesting them, but keep watch on the feces it should be fine. Most beardies seem to really enjoy the taste and texture of supers. And I find they are a lot easier to maintain than some other live feeders so I understand why you'd want them to be your primary feeder, which is fine as long as they are getting other nutrients from greens and veggies.

MAJ

Hatchling Member
Superworms are my beardie's all time favourite.
They are my staple, but she also gets dubia roaches regularly, and the occasional silkworms, hornworms, butterworms, etc. Given a choice-- she'll always go for the supers first.

One thing that I really like about superworms is that they seem to last forever, as long as they are well fed and cared for. I started breeding them about 15-18 months ago, and I am still feeding off the first crop of worms with tons left in the bin. The individual worms that I am feeding right now are at least 8 months old, and many are likely close to 12 months old.

BEARDIE144

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for responding :mrgreen: . but is my beardie big enough for me to feed him those worms ?

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Lizard crack Lolz. Mine need a fix but I hate getting them b/c they always chew through the lid and get out so I have to keep them in a plastic tub, then put them back in their container so they can get to the food. Pain in the rear really.

LuvMyHerps

Hatchling Member
dolcedragon":8a154 said:
I wouldn't feed them as an everyday meal, but they are definitely good every now and then. Because they are high in phosphorus they can throw off the Ca:p ratio, so make sure you are giving calcium supplements. Like they said above, some beardies (young ones and formerly abused) have a bit of trouble digesting them, but keep watch on the feces it should be fine. Most beardies seem to really enjoy the taste and texture of supers. And I find they are a lot easier to maintain than some other live feeders so I understand why you'd want them to be your primary feeder, which is fine as long as they are getting other nutrients from greens and veggies.
Got a few questions for you about the supers....I recently adopted a rescue, she fed him supers and chilled crickets. Is it ok to continue feeding him supers daily? He eats a huge amount of greens daily and poos daily. One more my juvie beardie is 7ms old and about 10", is he too small for supers? Or should I stick w/mealies a few times/wk along w/his crickets?

BEARDIE144

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well the problem with mealworms is they can get impacted because of the high levels of chitin. i would stick to the supers thats wat im feedin my beaedie now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom