Tiny, tiny sliver insects in my feeder discoid roach colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was feeding my discoid roaches and I noticed TINY sliver/white insects accumulated on the scraps of food from the last feeding. They're too tiny to take a photo of. I think they are springtails (I never introduced springtails to the colony) but even if they are, do they pose a threat to my colony? There already is a whole bunch of them now that im looking so I really hope not. Theres been no sluggish roaches or roach deaths in my small colony

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that they are springtails or similar. In that case, they shouldn't pose any harm. Are they accumulating anywhere else? Are they sand like consistency? It's possible they are grain mites (also harmful, but a pain to get rid of).

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
They are also in the substrate. I found a roach that had either chewed or shriveled wings today also. Could that be because of a deficiency or mites? They don't seem to look alot like the grain mites in my opinion but they could still be. What are other ways to tell if they are?

Gail

BD.org Addict
The chewed on roach was probably eaten by other roaches after it died. If the colony is protein deficient, they will chew each others wings.

Grain mites are small and round, springtail are more long and skinny. Both are harmless. I wouldn't worry about them unless you see them on the living roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom