How many crickets should I buy at once for my 1 month old?

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

How many crickets should I buy at once for my 1 month old?

Postby keegaroo » Tue May 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Hey, I'm new at caring for beardies but I'm doing a lot of research so I do this all properly so she thrives. I'm picking up my beardie in about a week from today, by that time she'll be about a month and two weeks old. 1/8th or 1/4th sized crickets are what I've been seeing suggested to feed them at that age, and if I'm looking to buy in bulk, how many should I buy at once so they don't get too big in the time I have them? If I were to order 1/4th sized crickets, how many should I get at once if she's eating approximately 50 a day? Or should I order 1/8th size? Thank you so much for helping me do this right :)
keegaroo
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: How many crickets should I buy at once for my 1 month ol

Postby CooperDragon » Thu May 06, 2021 4:36 am

The little ones can go through a lot. I also found that when shipping, some of them die off in transit so it's good to order a bit extra. When I ordered crickets, I found the most cost effective amount that was reasonable was 1,000. A few hundred would die off (estimate) and I'd keep the rest in a bin with cardboard housing and some fresh vegetables to eat. I'd order about 1,000 each month. I eventually switched to a roach colony because it is much less work to keep them healthy and keep their enclosure clean.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeders