Dubia Colony- Am I Doing This Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few weeks back, I received 25 adult female roaches and 10 adult male roaches from dubiaroaches.com for 45 entire bucks.
I have them, as well as whatever leftover nymphs I had from an order of 500 nymps in a 10 gallon terrarium with heat mats and a towel on the top. I have egg crate flats in there for them.
I made a blend of collard greens, spaghetti squash, carrots, and apples dusted with calcium for both the colony and my beardie. I also throw in some of the flukers orange cricket diet since i know they can have that for hydration and food if they want it. The colony doesn't seem to eat anything I give them but they aren't dying.
Does anyone know the best food and water source for dubia roaches?

I also want a cleaner crew for the frass- does anyone know of an inexpensive colony i could buy online?

How do I know they're actually breeding?

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
They are eating, with that many dubia it will be hard to tell how much they are. Just keep them warm and dark they will do the rest in time.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Here is a guide I used to help get my colony going https://dubiaroachdepot.com/guidance/breeding-dubia-roaches It can be useful to read a few different online guides and see what information overlaps the most

Dubia take about 10 weeks to gestate once the adults mate. Some guides I've read say it takes 12 weeks, so 10-12 weeks waiting for your first nymph babies. You will have to be patient.

I've used water crystals (polyacrylamide hydrogel) in a swallow textured plate and now I give them an orange every week. I also had a problem with my first nymph babies dying because my house is very dry, so I started spraying water at least every other day and added spagnum moss. I feed them the same salad choices as my bearded dragon, and I decided to switch them over from gel roach food to dry oatmeal

At some point you may have a problem with food or water or humidity so check on them once or twice a week. Mostly it is time waiting for the babies to start. Also remove old food so there is no mold, mold is very toxic to these roaches. A plus side to spraying down things with a water bottle mister it's easy to wipe up extra frass with a paper towel (and gloves and wear a mask of course). Leave some frass because the babies will eat frass as their first meal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom