Product Review: Full Throttle Feeders BD Grid Feeding Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Full Disclosure: I am not being paid for this review, and bought the product on my own, so I'm not being compensated by Full Throttle Feeders in any way. :)

I've been struggling with feeding Figment his nightly crickets, as his appetite and desire to hunt varies and I inevitably wind up chasing down loose crickets so they won't stay in the hab overnight. I've also tried feeding in a separate bin, but that didn't work out so well, either. In a last ditch effort, I decided to try out the Full Throttle Feeders Adult Bearded Dragon Grid Feeding Cup https://www.fullthrottlefeeders.com/product-page/the-bearded-dragon-adult-grid-feeding-cup

My first move was to contact FTF to see which product they would recommend for a dragon Figment's size; he's about 9" long and 3-4 months old. FTF has two beardie feeder cups on offer, the adult size priced at $22 with a free veggie cup thrown in and a smaller "feeder pole" version designed for babies, priced at $15. The adult grid cup measures 11 inches in height, 4 inches in diameter and 3 inches in depth. The baby feeder pole measures 5 inches in height, 4 inches in diameter, and 2 inches in depth. As I was concerned about crickets roaming freely in the hab, and because I know Figment will grow, I opted to go for what the company advised: the adult feeder cup.

My cup came in today, and I tried it immediately. My pros and cons are listed below.

PROS
Figment took to the cup immediately, as soon as he saw the crickets climbing up the grid. He launched himself at the cup, and started snapping up crickets as fast as they could crawl past him. He even ate a number directly from the cup. As for crickets escaping... none did. I poured them directly in from the shaker cup, and most seem content to just crawl around the plastic grid with a minimal few sitting in the bottom of the feed cup. I suppose they could get out if they tried, but thus far, none seem to have that idea in their little cricket brains. I'll remove them soon, and plan to just shake them back into the cricket keeper.

CONS
This cup is definitely built for the adult beardie in mind, as stated in the product name. Figment had to balance on the edge of the cup to reach the grid, and even then he had some difficulty. I may tape a tongue depressor over the midsection of the cup to allow him to reach it without falling into the cup itself. Also, when the crickets reach the top of the grid, they are out of Figment's reach. I helped out by knocking them back down into the feeder cup, where he ate them. The size is the only real "con" I can think of, and if you're buying this with an adult beardie in mind, you likely won't have any problem at all.

THE BOTTOM LINE
Figment and I both like this cup. It's easy to use, easy to munch from, and of solid construction. I can see it working well for feeding roaches as well as crickets, though for dubias a good slick-sided bowl usually does the trick of keeping them confined. I'd definitely recommend this for people with adult beardies who are no longer inclined to go charging all over the tank after their feeder insects, or people like me who just got sick of the nightly cricket hunt. I'll keep an eye on how things develop as I use the cup over the next few days, and if anything changes, I'll post my findings here. (I wish I'd been a bit faster on the uptake - just now, Figment was actually IN the cup going after the last four crickets; it would have made a really cute picture!)

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Figment really gets "into" eating from his new feeder!
full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's an interesting contraption! I can see it as being especially useful with things like crickets that tend to like hopping all over the place and hiding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom