Weird Protrusion From Adult Male Dubia

This forum is for discussing topics of caring for and breeding feeders (crickets, roaches, etc.) for those interested in raising their own bearded dragon live feeders.

Weird Protrusion From Adult Male Dubia

Postby Apolla » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:03 am

Does anyone know what this is coming from this adult?
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

I noticed it when checking on their food/water. I haven't tried to remove it because I don't want to hurt him and for all I know, it's a normal part of his anatomy.
Apolla
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Weird Protrusion From Adult Male Dubia

Postby Apolla » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:33 pm

I wanted to give you all an update.

I tried a few times to pull it out of him with no success. In fact, I'm afraid I traumatized the poor guy, because when I tugged really hard, some clear liquid came from his face. I think he vomited. Since I couldn't remove it without further hurting him, I froze him, got an art knife, and did an exploratory surgery.

I still don't know what it is, but I believe it's part of his regular anatomy. When I cut him open, I found a second one on the other side in the corresponding spot, like how we have ears on both sides. The second one, however, wasn't outside of the shell.

My best guess is he got injured and part of him slipped out like a hernia of sorts but I have no real confirmation.
Apolla
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:27 am

That is odd. thanks for the update. I wonder if he got into a fight of some sort. I haven't seen that with any of my colony but will keep a look out.
CooperDragon

Postby Apolla » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm

CooperDragon wrote:That is odd. thanks for the update. I wonder if he got into a fight of some sort. I haven't seen that with any of my colony but will keep a look out.

Fighting or the weird thing? I have too many males at the moment so they're fighting, but Boga can only eat so many adults so quickly lol.

This sort of thing makes me wish I knew of an entomologist or had access to more science equipment, like a really good microscope and testing equipment.
Apolla
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:15 am

The fighting is common, I haven't seen something like that on a male.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Feeders