Cricket colony?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Too much work IMO. Easier (and probably cheaper if you factor in your time) to just buy crickets in bulk. If you're set on it, i'd watch some videos on youtube about it. Much better to have a visual for this type of thing IMO.

Dubias are much less work if that is something you'd be interested in.

-Brandon

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I would like to switch to dubias and start breeding them, but my mom and dad do not want any roaches in house or garage. :banghead:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's understandable, lots of people feel that way too. If your order crickets online they are much cheaper than at the petstore. And you won't have to deal with the loud chirping of crickets if you were to breed them.

-Brandon

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Would your parents be willing to read up on keeping roaches vs crickets? Dubia and Discoid (for places like FL where dubias are illegal) roaches don't fly or climb, are much easier to maintain, are quiet, and don't stink like crickets do. They're also more nutritious for your pet and far less likely to bring parasites. Their temp/humidity requirements for breeding also make them not an infestation risk in most places, in the unlikely event of escape.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Side note - I live in Florida and have an immediate and visceral reaction to "palmetto bugs" and german roaches, but I've been able to comfortably handle the discoids, mostly just to move them from point a to point b, with the exception of the fully grown males. They move fast and that still creeps me out a bit. I keep a small piece of egg crate to move them if I need to. But I've come to appreciate my little starter colony, and I'm looking forward to seeing them reproduce. :0)

Moon4wolfgirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm lucky just to have crickets in the garage. I REAL Y want to keep dubias but I cant.
( would dubias be fine outside in a container, I know nothing about roaches)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It would be too hard to control their environment outside. Plus they would be very susceptible to predators such as spiders outside.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom