Tips On Keeping Crickets alive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Hey,
I can't seem to keep crickets alive, but mealworms thrive (I accidentally started a breeding project :roll: ) I keep mine in a cricket keeper including:
cricket quencher
tube thingies :lol:
carrot
I cleaned (past tense cause I swapped over to mealworms [leopard geckos] but heard they aren't the best for sickly ones [1 of 2 is a rescue] and aren't good for Beardies) once a week. I ordered 200 and they will be here in the next 5 days (delayed shipping cause of presidents day).

Thx in advance! :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I always had trouble keeping mine alive. The biggest thing I did which seemed to help is provided them with some extra heat. They seem to do well when kept warm. They also seem to get louder when they're warm unfortunately.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I got my “200” crickets. I GOT 500+!! The company dropped the ball. I gave 100-150 to our neighbors who have two beardies. I don’t know what to do cause I HATE touching crickets and I don’t have feeding tongs *shiver*. Also, any tips for preventing crickets from escaping? Thanks guys!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
HerpGirl":26nhrp8q said:
Well, I got my “200” crickets. I GOT 500+!! The company dropped the ball. I gave 100-150 to our neighbors who have two beardies. I don’t know what to do cause I HATE touching crickets and I don’t have feeding tongs *shiver*. Also, any tips for preventing crickets from escaping? Thanks guys!

Thats a lot of crickets :lol: I'd reccomend getting one of those deep plastic storage bins from Walmart or the dollarstore to put them in (they can't climb the plastic and it's too high for them to jump). If you wanted to be extra sure you could cut a rectangle out of the lid, put some netting across it so they can still breathe with the lid on. To get them out paper towel rolls work well, basically a substitute for the tube thingies from the cricket keepers.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have had to catch 10 that got lose. I am giving my turtle, leopard geckos, and bearded dragon all the crickets they want just to cut down the population. Again, any tips on stopping the smell? I share a room with my little sis and every time my beardie does a boom boom she complains that I make the room stink. I never liked crickets. My mom, who HATES roaches, said to buy them instead! Anyone know where I can order Dubai roaches online for cheap?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Roaches smell much better than crickets (crickets make dragon poop stink too). Check ABDragons for roaches online. That's where I got my starter mix for my colony.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon said:
Roaches smell much better than crickets (crickets make dragon poop stink too). Check ABDragons for roaches online. That's where I got my starter mix for my colony.[/quote
Thanks. I’m saving for starting a colony now :D!

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I have some knowledge keeping crickets. Not nearly as many at once. To keep the smell down I find it worth it to pay more per cricket and get fewer at a time.

Skin beetles (taxidermy beetles) can be kept in the cricket keeper bin to help rid of the stinky waste. Remove dead crickets as you find them to reduce smell. Invest in tongs, they are worth it. I don't mind touching crickets, but tongs are easier. There is nothing like grabbing a cricket with your hand then one jumps on your arm to then jump out of the cage and start leaping away to freedom, :banghead: , tongs reduce that. I also add some leaf litter to the cage, the crickets I get hide under the leaves instead of jumping out when the lid opens, less escapees. Cardboards tubes and egg crates and some leaf litter are what I use.

A big bin with ventilation added as someone else is a good idea. I have a smaller container, but I will take the lid off and fan at crickets to move the air around in a deserted corner of the house. Get fresh air in to reduce smell. It seems to help.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Dorgendo! I'm going to feed off this colony, then start a Dubai roach colony. BUT I'll use any tips in the time being. My mom made me put them in our garage (Feb in Columbia :? ), any quick fix to heat them up till I get I heat pad/mat? (rice in a sock trick?)

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
I have no mercy for the crickets. Small tupperware and place with lid under the heat light for 1-2 minutes. They jump around quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom