Setting Up Dubia Colony for One Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuksMama

Hatchling Member
I have one beardie and it is going through crickets like crazy. They are getting reallly expensive. Can anyone please tell me in EXTREME detail how I can start a dubia roach colony? What do they need? Can I keep them in my room? How many dubias should I buy to start? How do I keep the ratio of male to female correct? Will I have to keep sizes separately enclosed? Can the colony grow too much? How do I use them as feeders without hurting the colony? :-| Help how do I get started?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It can take a while for a colony to get established. You'll need a bin with a screen top for ventilation. They do better at warm temps in the 80s/90s but this isn't necessary. They like to eat veg scraps like squash, greens, and sometimes orange slices or banana. I would start out with some (24 or so maybe?) adults in maybe a 4 to 1 female to male ratio along with a couple hundred mixed sizes so they produce generations more quickly. Here is some further information about their care https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Darkestfallen

Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
CooperDragon":37vn83aq said:
It can take a while for a colony to get established. You'll need a bin with a screen top for ventilation. They do better at warm temps in the 80s/90s but this isn't necessary. They like to eat veg scraps like squash, greens, and sometimes orange slices or banana. I would start out with some (24 or so maybe?) adults in maybe a 4 to 1 female to male ratio along with a couple hundred mixed sizes so they produce generations more quickly. Here is some further information about their care https://www.southtexasdragons.com/dubia-roaches.html

Thank you for all of the amazing information on the link. I think I am going to try and set up a colony, because there is no where near me to buy Dubias. I plan on having 3 beardies, mine, my daughters and I plan to buy my wife her own now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom