Help Woodies are all escaping from my Cricket Keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

branjie

My Beardie is off his food (crickets and veg), so I bought him some woodies to try. I got them home and put them in a small cricket keeper. They are all escaping through the air vent lid. Agh! I can't seem to get them back into the box they came in. What a nightmare, what do people use to stop them from getting out? If I put tape around the laundry sink, will it stop them crossing?

branjie

Original Poster
It's been a week, and no one has given me any tips yet. I have been keeping the roaches in a plastic container, with tiny holes punched in the lid. These things are super fast and I can't take the lid off without a total mutiny. I have decided to put them in the freezer until they are not moving, then add them to a smoothie I am making for my beardie. Sorry to say, any leftovers are going in the wheelie bin. I can't handle roaches.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry this post got overlooked. I'm not a big fan of the cricket keepers. 10/20g glass tanks with mesh lids work pretty well for holding bugs. Another good option is to take a big rubbermaid tote bin and cut a big hole in the top. Cover the hole with some mesh screen like you'd have for an outside door or window. That comes in a cheap roll at the hardware store. Just hot glue or tape that over the hole (you can do this on both sides if you want) and that should be secure but also provide adequate ventilation. Put some cardboard tubes in the bin along with some food and they should be in good shape. The tubes will give them a place to hide and also make it relatively easy to shake them out into a cup for meal time.

branjie

Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon. I will definitely follow your advice if I ever pluck up the courage to deal with Woodie again!

Apolla

I don't know what kind of cricket keeper you were using, but when I had crickets, I used the All Living Things cricket keeper and they were escaping through a little vent above the tube holes. I checked out reviews and other people had similar issues, but one reviewer left a note that they covered those holes with hot glue.

I tried that and it worked.

I don't keep crickets any more (I hate them) so I'm not sure how it holds up in the long run, but if anyone's having any difficulty they might try the hot glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom