Help finding local suppliers - DFW, TX area

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristenT

Juvie Member
My between my beardie and leo, I'm getting eaten out of house and home. All the pet store chains offer are crickets (noisy and smelly), and millworms, super worms, and wax worms. I'm trying to find someon - anyone! - in the DFW area that sells, or knows where to buy (locally!) silk worms, butter worms, or dubia. I can't keep shipping these things in... it's too hot here, and a major hassle trying to keep them alive during shipping in the heat, and over night shipping is ridiculously expensive!
If anyone knows of a seller in this area, I would so SO greatly appreciate it! I've looked, but the only shop I've been able to locate is DFW Reptarium, and I have yet to call them and find out what feeders they have and at what prices. And they are about 30-45 minutes away from me....
Any help would be a very huge help!
Thank you so much!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'd look for reptile or exotic animal expos in the area. Some local/independent petstores will order specialty insects from their suppliers with their regular orders, or bulk order for customers to save in shipping. Check craigslist for roaches, maybe.

Though I'd expect it would be a challenge to get silks and butters. Silks are more specialty that crickets, roaches or supers in regards to rearing. Butterworms are imported - I'm not sure how many distributors there are. I've never seen either at a petstore in my area or any of the reptile expos.

Have you considered breeding your own dubia or silkworms?

Good luck!

KristenT

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I will have to keep my eyes open for expos... so far, I havn't seen any.
I've briefly thought about breeding my own.... honestly, adult dubia freak me out. I don't mind the juvies... but once they have wings....

I havn't put much thought into silk worms, but I'm not sure my land lord would be impressed with me breeding ANY live feeders on the premises... I could ask, but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

Before I moved to TX, there was a little privately owned store down the street from me, and that guy sold everything except horn worms and butter worms. Here's to hoping I can find another local shop like that.......

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The roaches take some getting used to for sure ;)

Silks are a pretty sensitive insect, you may be able to use that to our advantage. They only eat one kind of specialty food, they don't really "escape" and they are generally very inoffensive. I've just gone thru my first cycle of rearing eggs to moths - I've had a few wander out if the tub and across the table to weave their cocoons but otherwise they just sit on the food and eat.

Good luck finding a shop :)

Sometimes expos are posted on here, but you may have a local monthly one as well as the bigger regional shows. I'm in Ohio, Columbus has one every month - maybe a nearby big city will have one?

MsSybil

Hey, I live in the area & shipping is expensive, but check with PhatJack.com
They are in Grand Prairie and aren't open to the public, so much, but they do on Mondays & Fridays deliver feeder insects to the Ft Worth & Dallas Zoos. He said he can meet folks on his deliveries and save shipping. Might be a good idea if you are in those areas. I just ordered some medium (100 for 14.95) & small (50 for 9.95) dubias. Shipping was 12.00 but they were all alive and packed well. I may meet him next time!
Good Luck!

If you're still looking for expo's there's a couple in the area that I know I'll be at! Repticon Dallas will be here this weekend (22-23) and back again January 3/4. One called Lonestar reptile expo will be here December 13/14. Oh and the big NARBC will be in Arlington late February!

MsSybil

Thanks! At the last expo in Arlington (back in Sept)...I found Phat Jack Farms that's in Grand Prairie & they ship. They are usually at the expos too!

ebart

I just found DFW Reptarium, 2220 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075. It's a bit far for me to drive from Euless/Grapevine area but they have Dubias; Horn worms and various other items for reptiles.

By the way I want to say thanks to the posters here. I found the Dallas/Farmers Branch repticon event. It was small but good to check out.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom