need a little variety...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wonderful and beautiful beardie named Neak, who is A PAIN IN MY BUTT! :p I have been trying for a while to offer some variety into her diet but she seems to only want to eat freeze-dried mealworms, kale, and crickets.

When she was little, and I first brought her home, I fed her some phoenix worms and she loved them. Now, she wont touch them. I have tried superworms, live mealworms, and the phoenix worms. She doesn't like any of them except the waxworms , which I had to slow down feeding those because she liked them too much. I have also tried other veggies such as squash and she wont eat that either.

I would like some variety on what she eats so not only does she get a break from the same old thing but also my wallet of buying 300+ crickets a week. I was researching food that they can eat and i have read about hornworms and butterworms, as well as roaches. My parents DO NOT like the idea of roaches in the house so those are out, but I need something. Help... :study:

Scottishscales

Original Poster
I have that site printed out, haha. I have tried most of the green stuff on there. Ill just have to keep trying i guess. I just didnt know if there any suggestions of how to get her more stuff.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
I give my girl Ziva a variety of things. I don't stick with one thing. I usually have a base green, such as collard or mustard greens, and then add sweet peppers (Ziva loves those), and then maybe add a couple pieces of apples or squash. Try and keep it colorful. Don't give up. Sometimes our dragons can be stubborn :)

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
Oh and about the Dubias, they are a great feeder, if you can talk your parents into them :) They don't smell like crickets, are quiet, and easy to breed. I have my colony in my garage and they are so easy to take care of.

Scottishscales

Original Poster
Haha my parents are on the position that you dont purposely bring roaches into your house... They are like dead set against it. And i live in an area where the temperature fluctuates so much that i couldnt keep them outside.

Blankenship24

Hatchling Member
hornworms are good feeders, I've just noticed they can be a bit expensive and grow fairly quickly. I give them to my beardie as a treat. She gobbles them down, and loves them.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Scottishscales":2nnjdp2x said:
Do you have a position on hornworms? Ive heard those are good too. She REFUSES to eat super worms so i cant get those.
Last stage (big) hornworms are high in fat. They also grow pretty quick

Silkworms are a good option but probably more economical/convenient in quantities if you rear them yourself.

Scottishscales

Original Poster
I tried feeding worms in a bowl, i tried hand feeding, i tried putting them in front of her on her basking spot, she wants nothing to do with them. Shell eat one and then turn her nose up at them and wont eat them again. I thought of silk worms but ive seen they are expensive and you have to extensively care for them and feed them. Ill just have to keep trying. Crickets seem to be the only thing i know shell eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom