How To: Build a dragon leash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
If you've got an adventurous dragon, but you're worried that he'll get away and hide under the shed... Fear no longer, for I have, the dragon leash!

You can buy something very similar, the TRex Lizard leash, but having owned one, I've discovered they're not ideal for our dragon friends. The nature of their rough scales pulls the cord and creates little loops that snag - not too comfy. Ideal for smooth scales like skinks and anoles though, especially the soft, easy to cut to size leather.

I noticed Tsam had outgrown his leash in the last month (as it's winter, I don't take them walkies outdoors see.) and so I'll remake it for you guys to study.

If you're going to make a Dragon Leash, you'll need about 2 meters of good silk or material ribbon. Never use the plasticky stuff you get for wrapping flowers or presents with, it has sharp edges. You can even use bootlaces if it's a bit of an emergency.

First of all, you'll need to tie two permanent loops into it. Tie one at the end. Then, holding one in the middle of your dragons back, loop it under his arm and over his other shoulder. Where it lands in the middle of his chest, you need to put the other loop.
18-12-08_1307.jpg

Your ribbon should now look like this, with two permanent loop knots tied into it.
18-12-08_1306.jpg

Take your ribbon, put it back how you had it to measure it, make sure the knot is in the middle of his chest. If it's not, retie it. If it is, flip the long end over his head, and loosely thread it through the loop.
18-12-08_1308.jpg

At this point I had to swap dragons, he was antsying and wanted to go to the toilet. (He's now bobbing proudly at the massive green hued results. He likes basil, what can I say?) Ky thankfully is an old pro at this, so was happy to help. Once you've looped it through, loop it through the final loop, the one that goes on his/her back. You will end up with this shape.
18-12-08_1311.jpg

Hold the tops of the loops, so the middle X knot touches the floor and gently insert lizard.
18-12-08_1315.jpg

The front should look like this: (bear in mind this one's a little big for Ky, but it's easy to resize)
18-12-08_1316.jpg

Gently fidget the loops until it fits comfortably. Bear in mind, if your dragon is sneaky like Ky, they will puff up and as soon as you're not fussing, relax and wiggle out of the remaining space. (Anyone whom has saddled a horse will know EXACTLY what I mean!)
18-12-08_1317.jpg

There you go, one lizard leash! Great for roaming around in fields, walking in town, even going to the pub!
18-12-08_1318.jpg

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks! If anyone gives it a whirl, stick up a pic! I'll find the bright pink one with silly coloured feathers at some point. I use that one when T'sam has misbehaved and I want to keep an eye on him. *smirk*

LunaFierce

Hatchling Member
Brilliant! I'll have to find some sexy color for Helix so that we can show off at the Farmer's Market this summer.... hmmm, mabe I can find an outfit that matches her leash and I can be like those creepy dog people!!!!!! only I got the cooler pet, nah-nah :p

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You can also plait different colours of thinner ribbon to create truly custom matches! Because it's a fabric ribbon, you can sew things on it, but be warned that sequins and little bells do look tasty! (We have lots of fun from a big jingly on a string)

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, 8 months old onwards seems to be the accepted for a lick of wine or beer. (Also big enough and calm enough to keep better control of too!)

I'm also looking to develop a new version in soft leathers and suedes, but I'll let you know how that comes along.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
You might find yarn is a bit tangly and could snag on scales, not dangerous but can be difficult to unknot your lizard - might be worth trying if it's a tight twist though. If you do try it, give us a photo! :D *thinks* You could wax it if it's particularly fluffy...

Also, strong leather thongs (laces, NOT underwear!) work very well, but remember to seal the knots tightly as they can (and do) slip loose.

Alix1378

Hatchling Member
figured since its go outside time an paying 10-20$ for a leash out of the question if help out an give this a bump for every one :D

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thnx!
My pair are chuffed to be back out in the garden, I sling one leash round the bottom of my mini greenhouse and one on the fencepost - that way they can enjoy their favourite parts of the garden and eat their favourite plants!

Alix1378

Hatchling Member
lol ya i dont have ribbon stuff at the time but next time i get to walmart im gonna go buy some :D an try it out cuz dino is too small for the leashes they sell :(

landoflor

Hatchling Member
this is a great idea ^^ its nice to see so much imaganation here on this site. cant wait to go to town and by some ribbon
Sean

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Good luck with it - I have great success with most sized animals - even gerbils!
It certainly keeps a little more control over my wilful Kyle - Tsam's very laid back, but when Kyle wants to go look at something, she's going to look at it. (She's currently footling around under my bed!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom