what varnish/sealant?

Jebediah

Various bits and bobs that i need to coat in varnish. Have read that i need water-based polyurethane, but am struggling to get hold of any. Is a regular water based varnish okay? I called the company of the one that i found and they said they think it will be fine.

Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Depends what you are using it for really.

Varnish is oil based, it isn't water based. Are you located in the states? You should have no trouble finding poly or spar-urethane.

Depending on what you are going to use it for, varnish should work, but it's going to take a lot longer to fully cure (off gas) than water based.

-Brandon

Jebediah

Original Poster
Claudiusx":1kxfibrr said:
Depends what you are using it for

-Brandon

Thanks.

I built a styrofoam/grout habitat thing, and also a pine log I want to seal.

What I have here translates to "water based acrylic varnish with a silk finish".

Not in the US, and to order here I need to buy 5 litres...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh boy that's quite an investment lol.

What is the stuff you are looking at typically used for? That will give the biggest hint on whether it will be effective.

Either way it should work, just let it fully cure. Sometimes the product says full cure in 48 hours or so, but you need to let it cure until you don't smell it anymore. With some products i've used, this has taken over 2 weeks.

Last thing you want is to expose your dragon to some VOC's in a confined space.

-Brandon

Jebediah

Original Poster
Well my kids had so much fun grouting they are desperate to build a human sized cave next haha.

It says it is for wood protection for indoors and outdoors.

Oh boy my hebrew is improving so much this week. I now know the words for 'air-vent', 'waterproof', 'non-toxic', and 'silk'. I also have a new appreciation of the hebrew term for 'wow that's expensive'!

Thanks so much for the help!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom