Fireball's build

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
Hi all - as I mentioned in my introductions post, after an 8 year hiatus, I am re-entering the beardy world with a surprise dragon for my 9 year old son that I am temporarily calling Fireball until his forever human picks his forever name.

In addition to his surprise, I am also building a custom forever home and thought I'd share some progress photos.

Here's the basic shell after night one of work
ACtC-3cOEIkbLZBHu-BvWHTzswdjva32yi9-bPMazA6V69PTxCod6fEZawQJ_U2LQ2urJ8fBpkiV2QLNNJr-X2Ppk7szo08hUSstQ0gMLVRlX1wCrSw_FYpwx09iTTR4YhqzkFO6QPVrL3KTtks-vpQtKFs0Uw=w740-h555-no

Night 2 involved getting the basic base structure built and painting.
ACtC-3djGSb6DCwqdRxQQi8lk6WBwu-t3toUYzYyaYg8jkxumfSMsyNSHnr1wQAgCxJ3T4io8cSK0AfTYGDm4oy5YbG2WhcZbf2_BmHrLajV_4KZkCB8TV7VTgtfbnZOg6xj-BRrP9nXEAqwHL6eyCq10qTHMA=w1632-h1224-no

Night 3 - Since I am going bioactive with this one (I know I know...), I decided that the initial bottom front plate wouldn't allow enough depth to create enough of a moisture gradient or for planting, so I replaced it. I also started the prep work to start laminating which included sanding and filling some low spots/uneven seams.
ACtC-3dN9RFgnBq8QXAfBLCF79_Xjzhbyos0ZYXjsO1JWQ07tW0cB0Dp87Cgn6OZJrkBVrm5-Ag32oMq-9d9IO24d9anzJk0ci-4U0bLFUGON_fWFpooh1X-cJ5ECn9m6L4T_T81w0BtNkS8CBDLyusWBCl18w=w918-h1224-no

Night 4
Laminate night!
ACtC-3dGI-4rawvlndSrgK7G5LrPzSjB5kS1VXZeFqJdoEu5IskMak8lAlbSRz05YIwobMyDnCFXdA5fKA9LBNdZ3SB_wYkO50c2-lKvfoBdf87Z8m6mA3OAY1NTYG6GFZrbXyArTY4sDKmT_Q0MRKlBAOX-1w=w1632-h1224-no

Day 5 - This was the longest day in the shop and since I had more than an hour to work like the other previous days, I got quite a bit done.
- Edges and base painted
- rabbit cut and flush mounted metal grates on top
- cross ventilation grommets installed
- installed all electrical (basking fixture, UVB strip, led light strip for plants)
- doors cut and installed
- water/bug proofing bottom 6" of tank using 1/8 inch (3mm) sheet pvc
ACtC-3dTyI1pCJi8mKx1VBU03uqyLcO3NcRpGBzjeipDpITgOfLUQFEtZxIDMPoiqk6Y1KXWyV8nNCYxTGMcHVqhbPsJPmGItnV9vK7QEYE1rXDpjNmquGcgN8M5GlyVRT2elsoe52rTxQQcKhIPUVRLcw1IkA=w1272-h1224-no

And as of this moment, that's where everything sits. I still have some work to do on the stand and get a some paint work (painting clouds). After those couple of items, every painted surface is getting a couple coats of waterbased polyurethane and it's done until Christmas eve when Santa will magically bring it in to my little guys bedroom and get everything planted, plugged in and timers set. :blob8:

In the meantime, I'll be doing some temperature checks so I can get everything adjusted correctly before the final install.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The tank looks great! I went ahead and moved it into the DIY section since it fits better here. This is where members post their builds :)

Has your son seen the enclosure yet? I bet he is thrilled!

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks awesome!

Good job on the laminating! I've never actually tried laminating full panels! How'd it go?

How did your son like it? :)

-Brandon

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom