Build material

RodinBigD

I'm considering building an enclosure using 1x10 whiteboard. Are there any issues using this wood for an enclosure?

I'm thinking of gluing two 1 x 10's together using dowels and making a 60" x 20" x 36" enclosure. Any of the builders on here done this? Any issues I'm not thinking of?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can think of a few issues off the top of my head but nothing unmanageable, if you have the right tools.

Is there a reason you don't want to just use plywood?

1x material is quite thin. You'll most likely run into problems doweling it and keeping it sturdy. It will also most likely have bows and warps, so unless you have a jointer, you're not going to have an easy time getting tight joints. It is also much more likely to warp after building than ply would. But it can be done.

I wouldn't personally do it. If there is a specific reason you want to use the 1x material, maybe I can help you figure a way to get the same result in an easier fashion?
I've made a half dozen enclosures at this point, and im in the process of planning a full built in closet build for my 5 dragons.

-Brandon

RodinBigD

Original Poster
I'm not opposed to plywood. I do like the look of a board over plywood(if that makes sense).
seems it would need less framing and less trim.
But , I'm just in the planning stages. My son's grandparents bought him a bearded dragon and I know this 20 gallon tank will not be suitable for long.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If that's the case, you can build the tank out of ply and then wrap it in shiplap or something if you'd like.

You can do it for sure the way you are planning originally, but it's not something i'd recommend someone new to woodworking attempt as it will require quite a bit of know-how and tools to get to look good and work properly. If that's you, then you should be able to pull it off. But if you don't have much experience with woodworking, then it will just end up being a nightmare to pull off, IMO and IME.

There is a sticky at the top of this section that I made with links to a few peoples builds that you can look at and maybe get some ideas on how you want to go about building your tank.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom