Finishing pieces ???

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I was wanting something more realistic for our baby girl and have been looking at a lot of DIY projects inspired me to try something. Are used Styrofoam for the base and then I took some Redimix concrete I had laying around and covered it in that. i’m pretty happy with the Weight. I’ve read a lot of people use polyurethane to finish is this possible in my case does anyone have any advice how to seal and finish this thing? As always would be greatly appreciated God bless you and yours

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
well since nobody has got back to me i went out and got a Matte finish can of polyeurothane and a sponge brush so i hope this works

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the concrete is probably going to be water tight once it cures, so you may not need to seal it. The polyurethane may work to seal it, I haven't tried that on concrete (just wood). If it doesn't work, you could try a non toxic concrete specific sealer. I think those tend to be at least partially polyurethane based though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The poly should work but the concrete is going to soak up a ton of it. And also, you need to let the concrete cure fully before applying the sealer. Concrete can take quite awhile to fully cure and dry. How long has it been curing for?

-Brandon

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
thanks for the replies guys, and 2 days it has been curing it felt solid and im happy with the weight (not to heavy.) I painted with acrylic paint and added a coat of poly matte. So ill post once ive put the second coat on it and it drys a bit. :D I plan on this being the first of many projects

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
oh man we ended up tossing it. It was cool but good first run with something like that. First time for everything huh. Well I'm glad you are interested that's why i love this forum very cool people i can post some pics of freyja lately.

saraho

Hatchling Member
I tried making a hide/basking spot for Charlie. It looked so great, but he hated it. So I gave it to a friend with a beardie of her own. I think it was too big for their tank though. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
yeah id like to get better so i can make them just to make them maybe sell them online lol idk

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom