Wanting Natural Enclosure to Stimulate Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynesta

Hi!! I currently have a 1 1/2 yo bearded dragon in a plain 5’x2’x26” enclosure. I’ve always wanted to make a naturalistic (not bioactive. did that once before and he got parasites) enclosure with branches for him to climb on, fake plants, and fake rock formations. However, I don’t know where to start. I’d like to make a rock formation on the back wall/right corner, but don’t know where to get foam. I’ve seen posts on how to make fake backgrounds out of foam, but don’t know where to get it for cheap. I don’t know where I can get branches that are big enough for him and safe. I’m not putting any substrate in it for fear of parasites. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Edit: Just found the member tank builds post cx sorry I didn’t look deep enough. The one problem I still have are branches. All the ones you can buy are pretty small, where I’d like to have large ones since my tank is large. Any advice?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I like using driftwood for my enclosure because the pieces tend to be smooth and relatively flat (good for basking). Others have good luck using grapewood branches. You can use hardwood pieces (avoid cedar and pine) that you find in your yard if you have trees around. Same goes for flat stones. For the branches just scrub them well and then either bake them on low (~250f) for 30-45 min or so or if they're too big for the oven, leave them out in the sun for a few days or sanitize the surfaces with F10 or similar disinfectant. To clean stones, just scrub them and then disinfect them. Best not to bake stones since they risk cracking or exploding if water inside them is heated.

Cynesta

Original Poster
CooperDragon":123m3jn6 said:
I like using driftwood for my enclosure because the pieces tend to be smooth and relatively flat (good for basking). Others have good luck using grapewood branches. You can use hardwood pieces (avoid cedar and pine) that you find in your yard if you have trees around. Same goes for flat stones. For the branches just scrub them well and then either bake them on low (~250f) for 30-45 min or so or if they're too big for the oven, leave them out in the sun for a few days or sanitize the surfaces with F10 or similar disinfectant. To clean stones, just scrub them and then disinfect them. Best not to bake stones since they risk cracking or exploding if water inside them is heated.

Thank you!! Do you happen to know where I can find foam? Do I have to do some dumpster diving?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can buy foam insulation boards at home improvement stores. Or you can probably go to any big store and ask them if they have any foam from packing or what not lying around.

-Brandon

Cynesta

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2f3f1dpa said:

Also, where can I get large pieces of drift/grape wood? All I see online are either very small pieces from petco or super expensive pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom