Turning a cabinet into a vivarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermione17

Hi
My family and I just got our beardie and we are building her a new enclosure. We are modding a thrift store find actually. Looking for tips, recommendations, materials to use and not to use. What could be potentially harm her in construction materials?
Right now there are two platforms. The top one has a hole in it and we'll have some sort of ladder/ramp to go up and down. I replaced glass shelves with plywood but want to put something on them that's easier to clean and something she'd like to walk on. Tile? Lineoleum? Maybe concrete on the bottom?
There are gaps between the shelves and the glass sides. what should I fill that with? Silicone? Rubber strips? Theres a larger gap between the shelf and the glass door I thought maybe weather stripping or foam?
The top is some kind of steel mesh my dad had in his basement. We'll put the heat lamp right on that I think. But i have wood strips keeping the mesh in place. Should I avoid wood near the heat lamp? Let me know any and all thoughts! Thank you!!https://imgur.com/a/Bjv7gVB

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That will be really great! I'm not an expert with building things but I wouldn't worry too much about sealing it up. You do want to allow plenty of airflow. Linoleum would be easy to clean but may be hard to get traction on. I'd make sure it has a bit of friction if you use it. Tile is good too, but is pretty hard and can be rough on their feet. At least you can put something over it as needed like fleece. I would avoid using spruce. Plywood is fine. You can seal it with some polyurethane to make it a bit more water resistant. Just be sure to let everything dry and air out thoroughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom