When to seal, And oil or water based urethane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi... again.
Sorry for so many questions lately. Just one more. I have a large tv cabinet I’m upcycling and converting into an enclosure. I have to close up the back with wood, and I am putting a piece on the bottom to make the flat. My question is when do I seal the wood to best protect it and my dragon (before I put it on the back and bottom or after it’s all installed?) and should I also seal the wood of the cabinet? Also, does it matter if the sealant/varnish I use is water or oil based, since you should use only water based acrylic paint?
Thanks!
.ks.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Personally I would stay away from anything oil based.

As for when to seal it , I would wait for the finished product. Let it air our for while till all the fumes are gone before you put your dragon in it.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Gormagon":5wl3l139 said:
Personally I would stay away from anything oil based.
+1__VOCs can linger for weeks/months.

OTOH, I sealed everything before assembling. There are legit reasons for doing it either way; it depends on the build & personal preference.
What's important (IMO) is sealing the entire inside to make global cleaning/disinfecting easier & more efficacious. Some people use silicone on interior joints (before or after sealing).

Avoid softwoods unless well-sealed
Wood for Vivariums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom