DIYS EMERGENCY SOLAR + BATTERY BACKUP FOR REPTILES

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Scenario :
Power lost for a while, petrol ( um gas ) not available ( might be rationed ) so a generator is not an option , but there is some light during the days .

So what to do to keep the basking globe / MVB running ?

Answer a deep discharge 200 AH battery , this will keep you going for a while , but will eventually drain and you are back to square one , no generator available or no gas to run it ( remember ).

Power = IV = current x voltage.

Interesting site here to help size the solar kit needed : https://www.redarc.com.au/calculator/solar , even does the P calc for you .

Result I got with a 200 AH back up battery , most everyone should have one of these in the RV ( as part of the dual battery system ( starter battery that power car ignition (typically 75 - 100 AH) + second battery ( maybe 200 AH deep discharge ) that powers those away from home luxuries ( 12V lights, fridge, TV, and DC to AC converters for the laptop etc ) or camper or camping kit these days .
You'll only get 1.6 hr from a 200 AH battery powering a 120W globe.

For the 200 AH battery to power a 120W basking globe for 12 h/day ,
solar-panel-200-AH-battery-offgrid-performance.png

Wont be cheap but can be set up permanently to never need to worry about the backup battery ever being flat when you need it ,so long as you can get 6 hours of unshaded sunlight per day when there is no AC (mains power).
Recommended kit to add to the 200AH battery to take a 120W basking globe off the grid and keep it running indefinitely 12 hr per day :
solar-panel-200-AH-battery-offgrid-performance.png

Total $1742 to set up.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
You mean I can't just vent my wood stove exhaust through the enclosure to keep him warm? :laughhard:
(Kidding, of course)

Thanks for the 411 (I believe it's 1223 down there?) :wink:
Not sure the solar option would work here without storage; this area has the 2nd lowest # of sunny days in the country, and they're almost all during the wrong season...

However we did make it through an infamous ice storm a few decades back, and several multi-day outages. Generators & gas (um petrol) are generally plentiful (when there isn't a disaster).

Planning ahead is prudent, though. Thx again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":19jajz3p said:
You mean I can't just vent my wood stove exhaust through the enclosure to keep him warm? :laughhard:
(Kidding, of course)

Thanks for the 411 (I believe it's 1223 down there?) :wink:.

Got no idea what that is. Guessing it's an American thing.

Only did this because I've got a 4x4 that spends a lot time idly stored in my carport and I'm fed up with having to get it started by the NRMA roadside assistance 3 or 4 times a year because the battery goes flat .

Hence since there is not mains power in the garage ( and it'll cost thousands to have it installed ) I'll soon be installing a solar maintenance charging system ( 120W or 160W folding portable solar panel + charge controller ) semipermanently in the car ( which happens to have it's tail facing west and gets direct sun light most of the afternoon most days ) .
Hoping this will remedy the problem and ensure my starter battery stays charged even if it's weeks between startups.
Not as expensive as the system above. Should get change from $1000 installed.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":bq10nlru said:
MrSpectrum":bq10nlru said:
(Kidding, of course)

Yup. 411. It's the local number most folks here call for "information" (directory assistance) so it's become synonymous.
I tried to provide the Australian equivalent, but I may have gotten it wrong. :oops:
(So much for Wikipedia.)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
MrSpectrum":5ykd65py said:
kingofnobbys":5ykd65py said:
MrSpectrum":5ykd65py said:
(Kidding, of course)

Yup. 411. It's the local number most folks here call for "information" (directory assistance) so it's become synonymous.
I tried to provide the Australian equivalent, but I may have gotten it wrong. :oops:
(So much for Wikipedia.)

Ah … I see , long time since I used directory assistance . Not sure what the number is for that these days , too easy to simply look up white or yellow pages online .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My portable folding 160W monocrystalline solar panel , and 20A solar battery charge controller and remote monitor arrive on Friday.

Plan is to connect the 5m long Andersen connection 50A cable to the Pajero's starter battery permanently and run the cable along the cable tray from the engineer bay into the passenger areas and to the cargo bay , there the panel will set up temporarily inside the car facing the cargo bay door's window ( which faces west more of less and gets sun through it from about 1pm til sun set.

I'm hoping that even though the panel will only be partly illuminated by the sun ( up to 60% ) this should provide enough current each day to keep the starter battery fully charged.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My 160W folding portable monocrystalline solar panel arrived last night (big box !!!) and the rest ( cables , charge controller and remote monitor) arrived today.

Was a bit worried the solar panel might be too big when saw the box so double checked my Pajero's cargo bay dimensions

solar-panel-in-cargo-bay-illumination-in-afternoons.png

Think it'll fit OK .

I think i'll get about 60% illumination on average most afternoons through the tailgate window , which means the 160W becomes more like 100W.
Since the supplier recommended between a 60W and an 80W panel if mounted permanently in the roofracks and exposed all day , 100W will be sufficient for maintenance charging of the Pajero's starter battery when I'll simply stand the panel up near the car or the cabin or the tent or camper ( if I get one before then ) .

And when we do the next long touring / camping / fishing greynomad holiday , 160W is pretty handy for keeping the Engal car fridge freezer and laptop going and charging a 200Ah deep discharge storage battery during the day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Installed in my Mitsubishi NH 1992 Pajero's cargo bay.

h130-1583299755-04152915-12574aaj.jpg

160W portable (folding) panel in place , made use of the cargo holddowns to stop it from sliding out accidentially, tight squeeze to the foldup kiddy seats ( that I've only used a few times and never bothered remove ).
Very easily folded and laid down or removed when Pajero is being used.

h130-1583299731-04152851-25603aaj.jpg

the 20A PWM solar charge controller console , attached to the plastic trim that covers the rear wheel arch
2 green LEDs ==> charging properly and battery is charged.
redark-charge-controller-leds.png

h130-1583299744-04152904-15162aaj.jpg

the remote charger monitor on the other side wheel arch trim.

To use the solar panel to run 12V stuff at a campsite all I need do is disconnect the cable from the 20A controller to the back of the panel, and lift the panel out and set up in a sunny spot in a suitable location , connect to battery and then attach to suitable adapter .

If I decide in the future to permanently install a solar panel in the Pajero ( or a future 4x4 ( Prado 3.8L V6 petrol maybe ) ) , I'll hang it from a Connectit Frame that is anchored the cargo bay roof trim and hinge the 80W or 100W panel from this so it can be swung up out of the way quickly and locked in a the UP position (horizontally) . Will think about more this prior to the next long 4x4 camping/fishing tour.
An 80W monocrystalline panel is 54cm x 96.3cm and only 6.5kg and will produce up to 4.8A and only $270.
ie
swing-up-permanent-mounted-80-W-batttery-charger-layour.png

One of my old fishing mates did this in his 4x4 Nissan Patrol , a cargo bay drawer system that hides his 200Ah aux battery , charger, and power system , that his 80L Engal car fridge freezer sits on top on a special pull out tray , the tray system / false floor hides the rear wheel arches nicely and makes good use of what would be dead space otherwise.
Stuff he used have have in tubs held down by straps on his roof racks and cargo bay are made very secure and hidden from prying eyes ( pump, recovery gear, camera and lenses, fishing gear, tools , camping gear and gas bottle, he's since added a racks to hold 35L brewer's tubs for fresh water and a couple of plastic Gerry cans (for fuel ,despite having an aux fuel tank under the vehicle that gives him a range of 1800km).

Very important in 4x4 safety, keep the COG low ==> less heavy stuff the wheel arches the better , this helps keep the shiny side up and makes the vehicle more stable in very rough or steep terrain.

cargo-drawers-idea-one-of-my-mates-installed-based-on-Connectit.png

His 12V power centre.
cargo-bay-1.png

The hidden aux battery bay
cargo-bay-2-aux-battery-bay.png

Two big handy secure storage drawers
cargo-bay-2-big-drawers.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
My friendly mobile mechanic tells me he's run off his feet with seniors ( old farts like me ) getting him to install solar panels and solar charge controllers , mostly the panels are mounted on roof racks or on car port or garage roofs , but some are doing what I had him do .
too
They don't think they'll be using their car for months ( self isolating , getting everything ordered on line and delivered to the front door ) but want to be sure they have car batteries that stay charged perpetually without having take their cars for regular drives , this is JIC someone gets sick and they need to get to the hospital.

The thought is NRMA roadside assistance for NRMA members might stop functioning if so if their battery is flat and they can't jumpstart the car , they'll be stuck in an medical emergency situation .

I'm very glad I had my system installed when I did , as there's a waiting list now for the solar panels .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toddled down to check the charge in my Pajero's starter battery. Last person to go near it was the mechanic in May.

Turned the ignition key , started no problems .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good to hear your solar panel is keeping the battery charged properly. I had to charge up the battery in both of my cars this summer after they'd been sitting. One had scratches in the side of it from a chipmunk but didn't get through and no other apparent damage. Didn't swell or bulge when it was on the charger so all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom