Polycrylic dried to a milky finish on Fake rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ann404

Looking for some advise. I made some foam rocks covered in grout, left to dry 3 days. They came out nice. Then I tried to seal with polycrylic water base matte finish from minwax. However after one thin coat it dried milky white (and yes i stirred well). After 24 hours and no change i sanded and applied water base polyurethane. The polyurethane seemed to dry clear, but they are still very cloudy from that first coat. Does anyone know what i did wrong? Also, if I paint the rock now with acrylic paint, could i just add more layers of polyurethane, or would the paint make the polyurethane not adhere correctly? Thanks for any help.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Did you brush it on or spray it on?

Brushing it on (being water based) would likely reactivate some of the grout and blend it with the polycrylic, that would make it look cloudy.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
So now that you have sealed it you can use acrylic paints to form shadows and depth in what ever color you want. After that spray your polycrylic on again, this will cover the cloudy look. That is what I would do.

Ann404

Original Poster
Thanks. I wanted to make sure acrylic paint would stick and the polyurethane would stick to the paint and still seal the rock. Does it still matter if its spray on, now that the grout is sealed? I wanted to stay with the water based polyurethane if possible.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ann404":1vstqfp7 said:
Thanks. I wanted to make sure acrylic paint would stick and the polyurethane would stick to the paint and still seal the rock. Does it still matter if its spray on, now that the grout is sealed? I wanted to stay with the water based polyurethane if possible.
I would spray on the first coat to be sure in doesn't blend with the paint.
To spray the polycrylic on, you can get a spray bottle and, thin it down with a little water and, spray it in thin coats. 3 thin coats should get you where you want to be.

Ann404

Original Poster
Gormagon":1zxd77my said:
Ann404":1zxd77my said:
I would spray on the first coat to be sure in doesn't blend with the paint.
To spray the polycrylic on, you can get a spray bottle and, thin it down with a little water and, spray it in thin coats. 3 thin coats should get you where you want to be.

Just wanted to post a thank. Worked perfectly, foam rocks came out clear and look good again.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We want pictures.... :)

I've always sprayed on my finishes, or at least completely painted a project (also a means of sealing the grout) before applying a clear sealer so I've never encountered this. Good call Gormagon.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom