Godzilla Vs. Denver build - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm always amazed at the themes that people come up with for their dragon enclosures, and that's a first for me seeing the Godzilla theme. :) Do you remember the crazy Godzilla song ? Anyway, your idea is really cool but I have a huge caution for you. That platform with a complete open area with a looks like close to 3 foot drop to the tile is potentially very dangerous. If he decides to jump, which beardies often do, he can easily break or sprain a leg or legs. I see that as a real + present danger for the dragon, even though the enclosure is cool. Your dragon would be much safer if you cut that down to 2 stories. Then if he goes on a rampage through Tokyo he can safely destroy the buildings, high tension wires and anything else in his way without as much risk for harm to himself.

1dhollister

Original Poster
Thanks much for your positive feedback, its appreciated after nearly 6 months on a project! As far as height concerns and jumping - I appreciate where you're coming from, I don't want you to think I'm oblivious, so - for what it's worth: Platform is 28" high. Still not a good height to fall from, I understand. However, the reason we went vertical is because he likes climbing to the top of everything so much! Once we got the height of the cabinet, I kind of had to work with the light and the uv to get proper bask, so that really dictated the height of the bask. He has been broken into the habitat very, very slowly - over months - and he shoots up and down that ramp with the greatest of ease - but has never even LOOKED over the edge from the bask. Anyhoo - we kept a very close eye on him up there from day one, and he hasn't given any foreshadowing that a jump was pending - something he always does when trying to jump off furniture, etc. SO - I hear and respect your concern, I have the same, and we continue to monitor him, if he gives reason to be further concerned, we will be changing things. I guess when push comes to shove, I kind of figured they don't live in a pillow lined bubble in the wild, and they have much higher things they can climb out there - so I'll let him live a little. I know a million people could light me up for having that outlook, that it's my job to protect him - but heck, I let my kids jump on a trampoline - that can be dangerous - but dangit if it don't make them smile!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think as long as you are aware, that's all that matters. :)

That's where more advanced care and knowledge comes into play IMO. When you are aware of these things, and you know your specific dragon and what to watch out for, you can make a better informed decision than someone new to the hobby or with a new to them dragon.

If need be, you could always modify it slightly (you obviously have a great imagination, i'm sure you'd be able to think up something IF you need to) :D

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes I know they don't live in a bubble outdoors, lol. But they mostly live on dirt/sand and grassy areas with low shrubs, driftwood, etc. A few rocky outcrops would mostly have rock upon rock without many sheer drops, those would pose a danger even in the wild though. Pets are like 2 -3 year olds, we can't trust them to not run in the road because they've never done it yet. But I'm not here to bash you, just genuinely concerned for your beardie. I did think of something you could do in that open area if you're up for it though, and it might look kind of cool. You could drape a long hammock across that open spot , from the bottom left corner up to the right . I think this one is over 2 feet long. This is the type here :

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcSEwjJzOyC56zpAhUStsgKHdq9D24YABANGgJxdQ&sig=AOD64_30VwmVgK6Gwza0oj23wm67Lmg_Cw&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiYv-GC56zpAhUGac0KHf2PDlcQ9aACegQIDRBM&adurl=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom