Non toxic sealant for fake rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start making some fake rock structures for a large bearded dragon tank out of styrofoam and non sanded grout. I want to have all the materials on hand before I start and I'm hitting a bit of a snag when it comes to a sealant. Most of what I've read so far just refers to a non toxic sealant but nothing ever lists a particular type or brand. Just curious what everyone else has successfully used for this type of project. I don't want to risk my beardie's health. Thanks in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I've used so many different products I can't even name them all. Most everything will be non-toxic once it's fully cured. Recently I've been using polyurethane or polycrylic for my fake rocks. In the past I've used mod-podge too.

Just make sure you are getting a product that gives you (or doesn't) the sheen you want. I don't like shinny glossy finishes for my rocks, so I use satins or matte finishes.

-Brandon

timberwolf

Original Poster
Thanks, Brandon. Yeah, I definitely don't want a shiny look but I've heard that sprinkling sand on the sealer can take away some of the shine and also add some protection. Some of my rocks will be for basking on and some will just be too cover up some bare spots on the back glass. So a polyurethane or polycrilic from the big box stores would be OK? I did hear about Modge Podge but have no experience with it. Was there a reason you stopped using it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No real reason I switched. They all pretty much do the same thing. It just came down to a convenience factor for me. Whatever is easiest to get is what I typically end up using lol. I remember in the past mod podge being hard to locate sometimes, so I stopped trying. But I made all of my first projects with it and it held up just fine. :)

-Brandon

timberwolf

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably try the poly first and see how it goes since it'll be easier for me to acquire. The only place that sells Modge Podge near me is 60 miles, round trip. When you did yours did you use non sanded grout over the foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom