Advice on 4wx2dx3h build-lighting, vents, levels, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
102114-9765372988.jpg
102114-4369068961.jpg
Ok, I'm going cross eyed trying to gather info, going to throw this out there to see if anyone has compassion and can point me in right direction on any of this. A buddy is a cabinet maker and building us a new habitat for our 1yo beardie - dimensions as above - plus storage underneath (5' total height), its going to be sweeeet! I have him in 40 gallon breeder with arcadia 12% and of course his bask - needless to say this is going to be quite an upgrade. This is going to be a centerpiece furniture item, so not cutting corners. Looking for thoughts and ideas on following:
Doors - 1' of tempered glass all along the bottom front and sides (keep the creepy crawly critters in) - and then the doors will be outward swinging, meeting in the middle, with a latch. (tempered glass, 3/16" framed in wood)
Sides of glass, back maply plywood, stained or painted. Paint suggestions if I paint back wall white? (stained portions will be sealed with appropriate sealant.
Levels and lighting [/b]- He's a climber, so I'm making this 3' tall so he can have some levels to climb around - but I know if making levels, I'll be blocking a lot of light - this is a place where I'm really hoping for thoughts - lights under each shelf? basking spot - a couple different ones? Just a shelf up high with bask near top - and how big of light? I'm thinking Arcadia D3+ 12% UVB T5 Bulb - 34" - this would be 3/4 length of habitat - with basking light mounted on same side as uvb (planning on offsetting the 34" to keep bask/light/heat on one side. Maybe cfl or something non heat-emitting for the cold side. Is the 34" too much, or ok with that big of cage? I currently have 22" arcadia - should I put that under one of the levels, or is one UVB at top of 36" high enclosure enough? Is it true that any old fixture, as long as designed for that size bulb and reflected, will be fine? Link for something for the 34" arcadia would be appreciated? Lighting is my big concern
VENTING - I'm guessing this is going to be start small and work my way up. Vent near bask up high, and then down low on cold side? Do vents need to be on sides, or can I just put them on back? If you found a good looking vent, I'm open to ideas.
LEVELS - give him two floor levels (plus base level), with logs and ropes for climbing, was going to make the elevated floors as partials, so as not to block all light. Guess I'm wondering if anyone has designed something like this - photos, pretty please?
Bottom floor - thinking shelf liner with removable tiles that I can take out to clean. I also believe I'll do a dig box in the bottom. I understand the concern that they can eat sand/substrate when trying to eat their critters - but our guy eats right out of a lipped bowl, so no critter eating in dig - does that make some substrate ok? he does love a good dig! Suggestions? necessary depth of box?
whats the rules on climbing logs - can I go find them in nature? certain types no-no's? good place to purchase?

I guess those are my questions for now - if anyone has a moment to share thoughts on some of my bigger points (lighting, creating levels) I'd sure appreciate it. So will Torchie!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
1dhollister":35mziala said:
Doors - 1' of tempered glass all along the bottom front and sides (keep the creepy crawly critters in) - and then the doors will be outward swinging, meeting in the middle, with a latch. (tempered glass, 3/16" framed in wood)
Little confused by this. So is the tank going to be a glass tank trimmed in wood, or is it going to be a wooden enclosure with just glass doors?
If you had a sketch of it, or a picture online that was your inspiration, it might help us visualize it better.

back maply plywood, stained or painted.
If you're going to paint it, don't use maple. Pine is much cheaper. I wouldn't even stain the maple TBH. If you use maple, just use a clear finish on it that brings out the beauty of the grain and wood. But that's the purist in me speaking lol.

Paint suggestions if I paint back wall white?
I went with a semi-gloss enamel and like the results.

He's a climber, so I'm making this 3' tall so he can have some levels to climb around - but I know if making levels, I'll be blocking a lot of light - this is a place where I'm really hoping for thoughts -
Personally, this might be where I'm not of much help. I don't like the different levels idea. People have done it in the past and it just doesn't look good to me. And you wanting this to be a centerpiece piece of furniture, I don't think you will accomplish the same wow factor with levels.
I would just use lots of climbing space, maybe make some fake rock structures that add height and "platforms" of sorts to the tank. Something like this maybe:
stream-bank-vivarium-side-view-4000x3376_1024x1024.jpg

But maybe only on half of the tank as it does take up a good amount of floor space. TBH I couldn't really find a picture of what I was envisioning, but you can stack rocks and logs to create quite some climbing space and basking spots.
Like I said though, that's just my own personal likes, so go with yours if you'd rather :D

I'm thinking Arcadia D3+ 12% UVB T5 Bulb - 34" - this would be 3/4 length of habitat
Go with the 14%, it's stronger and you will need it with such a tall tank.3/4 of the tank will be fine.

VENTING - I'm guessing this is going to be start small and work my way up. Vent near bask up high, and then down low on cold side? Do vents need to be on sides, or can I just put them on back?
Definitely gonna just have to mess with it a bit to find what works once you get the lights all set up. But definitely start smaller. You can always add more ventilation. Harder to take it away.

whats the rules on climbing logs - can I go find them in nature?

90% of my decor is rocks and logs I found out exploring. It's actually a mini hobby of mine to go out searching for good pieces for my tanks :)

Wood you can just bake in the oven to kill anything. I typically soak stones I find in a beach solution and rinse and air out well.

Good luck with the build. We love pictures here so you better make sure your builder takes lots LOL.

-Brandon

1dhollister

Original Poster
Brandon - thanks for taking a moment to look over my post. As far as a sketch, I am not finding a way to add photos/attachments - I have to ask permission from someone, or did I read wrong? That being said, it is a wooden structure, fixed glass panel sides, fixed glass panel all around the lower 1' of enclosure, and wood front doors with glass middles (think shaker style, if that means anything to you.) Doors will be hinged, meeting in middle with 1/8" clearance for swinging. i am going to leave the natural maple on the back wall. Looking for appropriate fixture to house 34" arcadia 14%, per your advice (not finding that fixture easily!) Also just doing the shallow fluker 8" fixtures, to get some reflection downwards, for bask and fill light - if there is a lower profile light out there to mount to ceiling, I'd love to find it (cord coming out back will make mounting a little bigger challenge.
I will consider your different climbing ideas - not far off of what I'm picturing, I'll be playing with interior design still for some time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload pictures here to the site with this link:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

From there you can just copy the XIMG code for your picture, or use the XIMG button while you post.

Just look for a 3 foot, or 36 inch T5 fixture. Even though the bulb is technically 34 inches, it's made for a 3 foot fixture :)

Check one of my builds for what I did as far as lamp sockets. I just used ceramic fixtures that mount to the ceiling. No reflector needed in my case. You can buy PR or BR bulbs that have built in reflectors. I use a BR40 halogen in my 4x2x2s.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom