Question for Mud Slingers (Drywallers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
In building my 5' x 2' x 2' enclosure the plan was/is to attach slate backsplash to the back wall (It's a concept thing :roll: ). Only I'm kinda loath to permanently attach all this rock to the beautiful (Baltic) birch veneer. What if one day Mr. Dragon decides he wants to remodel, or what if he croaks and I want/need to re-purpose the enclosure? There's no way I know of to strip off that backsplash without ruining the birch enclosure back. :(

Solution: Attach it to a scrap hunk of drywall I found in the basement, and (less drastically) attach that to the back of the enclosure.

Slight problem. The piece of drywall--which is the perfect size for this--has been leaning against the wall for... oh... 30 years or so ±, and is more than slightly bowed (yet still quite hard/solid).

Any of you experts know how I can un-bow this thing, or is it a lost cause? I hate to go out & buy a whole dang sheet (not to mention I no longer have a truck to get it home in) just to throw most of it away when the perfect piece is like... 15' from where I'm sitting. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How thick is the drywall?

I've never tried to unbow drywall. Whenever I've needed to do drywall work, it's not worth the time and energy. Getting a new piece is a much cheaper and easier solution, in the situations i've been in. The only thing I could think of would be lying it on the ground bow down and placing some 2x4s across it so that you can add some weight to it. Honestly have no idea if that would work or how long it would take. But to be honest, most people in the trade would never really be in this situation.. LOL :mrgreen:

Another solution depending on how bad the bow is, would be to cut the drywall into sections. Instead of using one solid piece, make it a 2,3,4 or even 5 piece-piece of drywall for the back. That should help you secure it to the back wall easier.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at a thin sheet of ply to do the same thing.

Or... say to heck with it and secure to the birch :twisted:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
It's standard half-inch.

I agree a new piece would be better, but I've explained why that would be prohibitive & wasteful.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's why I mentioned cutting it lol.
Mr. Its been 30 years... time to let go! :lol:

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
There was a lot more going on that I won't go into here.
Walk a mile in my shoes...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you sandwich it between something heavy to try and straighten it? Or perhaps steam it a bit and try to flatten it like you could with a piece of wood? I don't have experience with this, just throwing some ideas out.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
MrSpectrum":31a0xiaa said:
There was a lot more going on that I won't go into here.
Walk a mile in my shoes...
Cutting your existing piece was a serious suggestion. It makes the bow and warps much less of an issue as you remove a lot of its internal stresses by doing that. And you are able to secure it much better that way too as the individual pieces will lay flatter. Any proud areas can be sanded down before you glue up the slate.

Anyways, if you dont want to cut your existing piece, I'm sure you'll figure out something... but that's what I would do if I had to use it.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom