Question about backgrounds/backsplashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Ok, this is my first time building an enclosure (or getting a BD, for that matter) and while I think I've planned for most everything, life has taught me there are ALWAYS contingencies.

Just ran smack into a contingency... I had planned on attaching slate stone backsplash tiles to the back (and possibly sides) of the inside of the enclosure--for... ambience/atmosphere. This will involve using a construction adhesive of some kind.

Here's the dilemma... I'm building this enclosure out of birch plywood, which is BEAUTIFUL, and it's (no pun intended) going against my grain to glue these tiles directly to the beautiful birch. I'm wondering if I should instead glue them to some kind of backer board, and if so, what, and how to attach that to the back of the enclosure. Or if I should just fuggedaboutit and glue the tile sheets directly to the enclosure back.

Any experiences/opinions?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The only thing I can think of if you're set on preserving the birch is getting a thin sheet if ply maybe 1/8th inch and screwing that to the back wall and mounting the slate to that. That way in the future if you want the wood look back, you will only have a few small screw holes that will be easy to fill.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yeah, I was thinking maybe Luan or Masonite. Not only for preserving the grain appearance, but what if the BD gets tired of his surroundings and wants to remodel? (Where's the tongue-in-cheek smilie?) :p

The other problem (and I should have thought of this earlier) is where to get a 5' handi-panel of... anything. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom