Mortar vs Grout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
Thoughts?

The base of the structures in my tank are almost done using polystyrene. Soon I'll have to coat it, paint, and seal... But I'm not sure whether I should go with mortar or grout. I'd assume mortar would be heavier which is a downside, but I was told grout chips easier, also a downside... Grout doesn't leave the gaps since it's not as thick, but at the same time most manufacturers list it as only for say 1/4 to 1/2 thick? :?:

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
101824-7733433572.jpg

This is whats in the tank so far. The bottom ramp/platform will be mirrored but considerably shorter on top with the main ramp at the rear and a second one towards the front. Some sorta structure will also be on the bottom half on the right.

As for lighting, Ill have a heat bulb on bottom right attached to the support brace. The UVB will be on top close to center but offset a little one way or the other and towards the rear of the tank.

These are ideas but I dont know where exactly to put the uvb or either heat bulbs. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I figured the upper heat bulb could actually be a bit towards the left and angled back towards the right. Rather than being centered on right and straight down. This would give a bit of a different gradient and Id have more leeway for not having a hot spot thats too hot. But then it would be no closer than 20 inches, as far as 30, from the platforms on the right. If it's centered straight down, then it's as close as maybe 6 inches from a platform should there be one there.

101824-6149984104.jpg

Apologies for my atrocious drawing skills but I attempted to do that on my phone. White is planned platforms/ramps, yellow is heat bulb/angle. Red is UVB.

The tank is 48" tall, around 42" wide, and 24" deep. The second platform is around 24.5" up IIRC, it's been awhile since the wood itself was put together.

Only problem with that angled light is there would be less space for low heat high UVB except for sitting on the ramps/platforms you see to the lower left.

Also need to figure out somewhere I can leave greens without being completely dried.

And finally, do I need to downgrade to a T8 bulb? Im currently in posession of a T5 HO and a reflector that can be used or removed.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm afraid I'm not much help on mortar vs grout, but as far as the lighting goes, I would put the T5 at about 12'' over one of the platforms next to a basking bulb. That will create a high UVB and high heat platform. Then you could put just a basking bulb over another platform for high heat and little/no UVB. Sometimes they seem to like basking under just heat. This will create a gradient downward so the lower parts of the enclosure will have little UVB and heat which may also be preferred at times. I suggest taking a look at the way Taterbug has her enclosure set up. It's a similar size to the one you're planning so it may be a good model. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/photogradient

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

EDIT: read charts incorrectly, going to edit again with proper comments lol...

EDIT 2: Alright yeah, I got nothing. I thought green was full rather than open and was shooting to primarily be in that range. Currently have a 22" reptisun T5 HO 10.0 that I could place somewhere with or without reflector. Im thinking Ill go with something close to pictured above.

101817-8722489527.jpg

The white being her primary basking platform. I will probably have to drop the UVB from being at the very top of the tank since I dont think I can raise a platform tall enough due to the vent on the right side. Would be hoping to aim for something like so:

101823-9811506820.jpg

Im not entirely sure this will keep the left side of the tank warm enough, but there IS insulation and wood making up the majority of the tank.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
With that bulb I'd shoot for about 12'' above the platform when using a reflector. I'd use a reflector since it will help direct some of the lower amounts of UVB further down into the enclosure in case she wants less exposure. If you're going to use two basking lights, what you might try is one next to the UVB light over the high platform, then a second over on the left side aiming at the middle platform (basking or almost basking heat, little UVB), creating a cool spot on the lower level (less heat and little to no UVB). You might need to try some different wattages or use dimmers/thermostats to get the temp gradient just right but it might be a good way to go.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
According to the site I linked, a T5 HO 10.0 with reflector at 12" would be dangerous levels of UVB with a UVI of up to 7.3

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The measurements I've taken between the ReptiSun 10 and Arcadia 12% are pretty similar between eachother. I get about 4-5UVI at 12''. I usually recommend 12-14'' or so above the main basking area to get 3-6 UVI over the main basking area. This can vary a bit though. It's good to double check output with a Solarmeter 6.5 if you can. Different combinations of fixtures and reflectors tend to change the amount of exposure at similar distances as you can see in Taterbug's guide.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I assume the measurements for 4-5 UVI at 12" are with a reflector? Note that the housing I'm using would prevent the UVB from spreading as much in either direction, and the reflector would help spread/amplify it rather than vice versa. I'll see if I can find a meter for it when I pick up the sealant for my mortar.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes. I've tested with three types of reflectors. One is the sunblaze (from Lightyourreptiles), one is the reptisun hood, and one is a cheap option from reptile basics (which had lower than usual output). I regularly use the Sunblaze in my main enclosure.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm using the reptisun hood at the moment which is why I'm hoping the 22" tube is enough. The lighting is costing as much as the tank :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom