Basking Light Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

justkniel

I have a question on the basking light fixture. I'm planning a build for a 4x2x2 made of 3/4" plywood. I know that the basking light socket needs to be ceramic and I found this one and the price seemed low:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Legrand-660-Watt-White-Ceiling-Socket/3235942

Would that work?

Also, I wonder about wiring this in the enclosure. I watched a video of someone building an enclosure and they had a similar fixture. They cut the end off of an extension cord, stripped the ends, and hooked that up to the fixture. Then they just screwed the fixture to the top of the enclosure. Is that safe? I saw some posts talking about a wiring box of some sort. Is that needed? If so, how do you use that and what all is needed?

Thanks for the help.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup thats the exact one I use, except mine is the levitron brand. No difference just different names lol.

I used a box since I was concerned too about the wires being right up against the surface of the wood, but in the builds i'm doing right now, I'm going to figure another way to protect the wires as apposed to using an electrical box. It would be much cleaner of an install not needing to use the box.

So I'm thinking either some silicone rubber (which is non conductive) or an epoxy. I thought about using the liquid electrical tape, but I believe it would melt at temps the fixture might be exposed to.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah don't use the liquid electrical tape. Just looked up its SDS and it states it melts at 130~ which isn't really suitable for our needs! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

justkniel

Original Poster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom