Need Recommendations for SAFE Grout/Sealer from Lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschasch

I'm planning on building a Backwall, with a 2nd and 3rd story levels for my new 4x2x2 enclosure.

I plan on using the foam/grout/sealer method, only I'm having trouble finding safe recommendations for the items that i need. Specifically a super safe grout sealer. Possibly aquarium grade if possible.

I live very close to a Lowes so if anyone could point me in the direction of products i need that i can find at Lowes (or possibly amazon) that would be great!

Thanks for the help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't focus on trying to specifically find a grout sealer. Any sealer will work but its preferable to get an exterior based sealer because they usually withstand uv rays better.

Once a sealer is fully cured, its sealed. Any sealer is safe to use as long as its cured. That's the purpose of a sealer it creates a barrier :)

I'd go with any exterior masonry sealer you have access to at your local store. Just pick between a matte, semi gloss, or gloss look. I typically go for clear matte sealers as I feel it makes the fake rocks look more realistic than a shiny sealer.

For a sealer that can be used underwater (aquarium grade) you'll have to use an epoxy or silicone.
I'd just go with an exterior masonry sealer.

-Brandon

Rschasch

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! That information is very helpful!

I'm just paranoid now because i recently built a 4x2x2 enclosure out of pine plywood (without checking the forums first :shock: and i don't really want to do a ton of work on the shelving units/rocks without checking to make sure its safe for my little guy!

p.s. I figured out about the pine before i put my beardie in. The plywood was then painted with acrylic based spray paint, and then triple sealed, so i believe the enclosure is safe for him now!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh it definitely is! Painting alone sealed it so the sealer on top was double sealing lol.

FWIW I wouldn't personally, but I've seen people house dragons in unsealed ply. Just to give you a bit more peace of mind :p

-Brandon

Rschasch

Original Poster
Haha thanks for the bit of extra confidence boost!

I just freaked out when I came on here to look for ideas for diy vivs, and found out about pine being toxic.... Oh boy was I worried! Glad I figured it out before I hurt my little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom