Newbie DIY Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

justkniel

I'm a newbie to the forum and don't currently have bearded dragons, but I am planning on getting one (probably about a year out from now). In preparation, I've been trying to figure out what all I will need to get. I was looking at getting the Exo terra 36x18x18 because I really like the front opening doors, but it seems like this will be too small for an adult dragon. So now I am considering building my own enclosure. I'm not very handy at all but from the videos I've seen it seems to mostly be screwing boards together which I think I can manage :D .

I'm thinking of doing a typical plywood 4x2x2. I was looking at doing sliding glass doors with the plastic track, which seemed simple enough. One thing I was wondering, does anyone have any thoughts for a way to lock these doors? I have small children and don't really want them to be able to get into the enclosure on their own. I did see a video where someone used a glass shelf from Ikea as a hinged door, so if I can't figure anything out with locking the sliding glass doors, I may go that route. Any other options for the front doors (keeping in mind it would have to be simple).

Also, I was thinking of hinging the top of the enclosure so I could lift it up to change light bulbs and things. I hadn't really seen mention of this here, so I was wondering if there is a reason for not doing this? It seems like it would be simple enough as I would just put hinges connecting the back and top and maybe have a clasp on the front to lock it down since it won't be screwed into the sides or front at all.

Finally, I was likely going to paint the enclosure. From reading other posts, it sounds like if I paint with a latex paint, I shouldn't have to seal the wood, correct? Also, I was going to do a black or espresso on the outside, but I think I have read somewhere that dragons do better with a white interior because of the light reflection. Would it make sense to paint the inside bright white? Also, this may be a completely noob question, would I paint the boards first and then assemble, or do you have to assemble first and then paint?

Thanks for all the help. This forum has been a great place for trying to figure things out.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good for doing your preparation before you get a dragon!

I'll try to briefly answer all your questions :)

I dont really feel the need to lock the doors, but they do have glass locks you can use, I'm not sure what they are called but if you cant find them I can link you to some when I'm at home.

With sliding doors you will have access to the lights at the top. One big reason for not hinging the top is because the top being secured to the rest of the structure adds a lot of strength and stability to the whole build.

Any paint in essence is sealing the plywood. The main thing is to make sure the paint fully cures before exposing your dragon. If you can still smell fumes it's not cured.
You can paint before or after. It's probably easier to paint before assembly, but it's not hard to paint after either.

I would probably go with a light or white colored inside. It wont make that big of a difference really.
The outside could be anything you want.

-Brandon

justkniel

Original Poster
Thanks for the answers.

I think this is the type of lock you are probably referring to, correct: https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-Ratchet-Showcase-Display-Different/dp/B07MVZC4XF

That makes sense about the hinging of the top. Guess I will skip that. As for the painting, the main thing I wasn't sure about with painting before was if that would affect the sealing of the wood since I will be drilling into it after it is painted.

Thanks again. I'm sure I will have more questions.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup those are what I was talking about.

You can get creative too and just buy the see-through clear 3m hooks and put one on each glass panel. From their you can use a hair tie or a small string around the hooks on each glass to keep them secure.

-Brandon

justkniel

Original Poster
I like the idea of the hooks. That would also give a bit of a handle for the doors. I will have to consider that. Thanks.

justkniel

Original Poster
Another question, has anyone attached legs to their viv? I was considering doing this to avoid having to purchase something to set it on, but wasn't sure how much support would be required. Could I just put some 2x4's at the corners? Would it have to have support in the center? Would I need something larger than a 2x4 for each leg?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
justkniel":1zhmv6cj said:
Another question, has anyone attached legs to their viv? I was considering doing this to avoid having to purchase something to set it on, but wasn't sure how much support would be required. Could I just put some 2x4's at the corners? Would it have to have support in the center? Would I need something larger than a 2x4 for each leg?

Need for a center support would depend on the strength/stability of the enclosure. You could use 2x4s at the corners (2x2s would probably do, and look a little better, IMO) but you should brace them for strength/stability--you don't want the thing wobbling & falling down, eh? :wink:

There are numerous ways this can be done--angle braces, gusset plates, etc.
Google: table construction for more ideas/methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom