Tank ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I'm currently working on a 4x2x4 wooden tank for my dragon, and have come down to trying to figure out two things.

First off is how exactly to have the shelf for the second level. I was originally thinking a 2'x2' platform but that leaves an awful lot of space off the side to fill up. Then I was thinking about a 2'x3', but would this be enough for her to climb from bottom to top and back comfortably? Someone suggested 1x4 but I dont think a full grown dragon would enjoy that. I was also thinking about having the board go all the way across, but having a hole cut in on the left side. Almost the same as 2x2 but there would be a border against the other side/front/back. Any suggestions?

More importantly, where should ventilation go? Ive four 12"x3" (or something along those lines) vents available for use. I was thinking I would put one on each side and two in the back around half way up the upper level of the tank? Im pretty sure that's what I saw in the... crossfire? But it wasnt a double stack for a single tank, and it also had ventilation in the front. Other designs Ive seen are usually similar but with smaller or less vents in the same area, again given they are only 4x2x2 instead of 4x2x4. Maybe 2 half way up the lower and 2 half way up the upper level on sides, with nothing on the back?

EDIT: will add pictures later. I dont have them on this phone.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try adding a vent low on the cool side and high on the warm side to increase convection. You can add some vents along the back if you wish but they may not be needed if air is naturally drawn from the cool side up through the warm side.

As for basking platform, it should be large enough for an adult dragon to bask on comfortably and it should be easy to access. It should sit about 12-24'' or so below the lighting (if you're using a T5). You can add branches to go higher and hides to stay lower if you wish though. As far as style goes, each enclosure is a bit unique so that's up to your preferences.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
The platform will be what divides the two levels of the tank, not solely a basking platform. depending on the shape of it, it won't be any smaller than 12x36" or 24x24". I simply don't know exactly how I could go about doing this.

I think I might lean towards having a 20x16" hole in the one half of the shelf which would leave a 4" rim on three sides and a 24x24" platform on the last side. This is assuming there would be adequate size to climb in between the two levels through said hole. Could also have a 12x48" with a rim towards the front and an 8x40" hole across the front, but I likely won't do this idea. All of this will be harder for me to imagine since my beardy is barely over half what her full size will likely be.

The platform will be approx. 23" from the ceiling of the tank, the UVB/heat will be as close to the ceiling as possible, and she will have things to climb on as necessary. I will also likely have a heat emitter of some sort underneath the platform if possible for the lower half of the tank.

The left side and back of the tank will both be against walls (within 1 inch or so of them). Would it be better to be pulling cool air from the side against the wall, or pushing hot air out there?

Let's say I put a vent about 1/4 the way up on the cool side, with open space above and platform opposite it... then the other vent at 3/4 of the way up on warm side. Would there be any use for the other two vents? Would it be detrimental to say, have one on lower/upper back (centered both directions in each floor of tank for example).

Note that I will be using swinging doors, and there will be a small gap in between them which will allow more air. Note that the gap will be as small as I could possibly make it, but it will be there and it will be the entire height of the tank.

Finally, what size UVB should I go with? I've only seen reptisuns in the area, so I assume a T5 10.0 without a reflector? I currently only have a 22" tube and I'm assuming that would be inadequate. The actual dimensions of the inside of the tank are 41.875L x 23.875W x 47.875H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom