Tips for heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroeder1

Hello. I am working on building a large tank with plywood. I know that the heat source will need to be inside the tank and I was wondering how to do that in a safe way so it isnt a fire hazard. I was thinking about putting a radiant heat panel on the top of the enclosure so it is out of the way of the foam background Im planning on doing. Do i need to put something between the wood and the panel? Or would something like heat tape be better to use? I am planning on doing a bioactive type of substrate so if I put it on the bottom of the enclosure could it get sectioned off from the rest of the substrate and I surround it with rocks, drift wood etc.? Also what brands of thermostats do you all recommend?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might consider installing a ceramic socket fixture. Then you could put a heat projector (Arcadia and MegaRay make these) in the socket and put that on a dimmer or thermostat to kick in as needed. Those don't get nearly as hot to the touch as a ceramic heat emitter and would pose less fire risk while still providing plenty of extra heat. There are several good thermostats out there. I use a Herpstat and it works well. Microclimate makes nice ones too. It comes down to what you want to do with it. Do you need a dimming thermostat for a basking light, do you need an on/off or pulse thermostat just to control a heat projector overnight or as supplemental heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom