My poplar 55gal build in progress using basic tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frawsti

Hello, this is a work in progress but I just wanted to start a topic that I can keep updating. Everything here so far has been done indoor my living room with very basic tools (I have a tiny apartment with no outdoor space).

So far the only tools and supplies I've needed:
-Handsaw
-Clamps
-Sandpaper
-Drill
-Wood screws
-Both 1/2" and 3/4" poplar boards (I'll post exactly how much was needed when I'm done)
-One 1"x1"x4' dowel
-Two squares

I think the only other things I will need is silicone for the glass seal, glass cut at Lowe's, and wood glue.

First I built the base out of 3/4"x5.5"x6' boards. Held together with 1/2"x1.5" boards cut parallel to width. I cut the corners out (sloppily) for the dowels to fit.

3Ek6FKh.jpg

Drilled the dowels on:
8tegSny.jpg

Then I made the side walls from 1/2"x5.5" boards and held together with 1/2"x1.5" boards. I left a half inch gap at the top for the screen to rest on.

ihwvxxA.jpg

pDWEqbf.jpg

Aaand here's where I made my first big mistake so far. I managed to mismeasure the back wall by almost an inch. It's where I've made my progress up to and I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. I likely will move the top boards down an inch to be level with the others (so the screen will sit flush) and just have the back wall little higher than the front. Since I don't have a table saw I can't just cut it short.

If I take this route it will give me the ability to mount my lights onto the excess ledge so maybe it's not the worse thing in the world.

uennQIc.jpg

Any suggestions to improve it would be great :)

Unfortunately I work 12 hour shifts for the next 5 days but I certainly intend to finish the build next week. After that I just need to stain and finish it. Looking forward to getting my little dude into a larger tank, he deserves it.

E3HJNtA.jpg

Frawsti

Original Poster
Progress. Flipped the back wall and moved the screen supports, doesn't look too bad. Everything is screwed down and square now. I'll just add an inch to the sides to level it out.

TvqV51t.jpg

Frawsti

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1u3d5kzt said:
I'm sure he'll enjoy that nice big space. Don't forget to add ventilation for it.

I hope so! The top of it will be a big screen so I think that should be plenty of ventilation for him

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Frawsti":2ovrrl3e said:
Aaand here's where I made my first big mistake so far. I managed to mismeasure the back wall by almost an inch.

1853053_1.jpg

Good luck with your build :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Frawsti

Original Poster
claudiusx":2fh5qvm4 said:
Good luck with your build :mrgreen:

-Brandon
Thanks!

Got the front of it built today and leveled out the top part of the frame.

fYsQnJF.jpg

1En2zjJ.jpg

Thinking I'm going use Danish oil to finish it, looks nice-
hUwmcd6.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What will you be finishing the inside with?
Or were you planning to use the danish oil to finish the inside too?

-Brandon

Frawsti

Original Poster
claudiusx":fzjux2s5 said:
What will you be finishing the inside with?
Or were you planning to use the danish oil to finish the inside too?

-Brandon

I'm gonna use the danish oil for the entire thing. It's the only type of stain/finish that I know won't make the beardie sick, I'm honestly not sure what else I could use. I'm happy with the look of it anyways so I don't really intend on researching other stains

Frawsti

Original Poster
Progress on it. Stained the wood, made some mounts for the lighting, and made the frames for the top screen (waiting for my screening to come in the mail)

AqSH2Pi.jpg

vAlRL14.jpg

TghG7f0.jpg

kWsuSNj.jpg

UTNKe7f.jpg

ZlbWBpy.jpg

Frawsti

Original Poster
claudiusx":32udjhoz said:
Looking good.
Digging your tube mounts.

-Brandon
Thanks! I used a carving knife and believe it or not I messed up three blocks out of five lol, I just couldn't get the angle right. I'm still worried that it's angled a little too high but we will see

Frawsti

Original Poster
Screens fit and installed.

bE0zBu5.jpg

Started growing my wheat grass for the habitat as well. Sooo close to being done, but the hardest part is ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom