Custom build questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra213

I'm working on making my first custom. I've done a fair amount of research but still have some material concerns before I begin. For wood, depending on price, I was going to use melamine or smooth plywood. I was gonna use wire mesh for part of the enclosure top and plexi glass or some sort of clear plastic for outward opening doors.
My concerns come from sealants for a few things:
-I've heard mixed reviews for polyurethane. Just from the fumes alone I'm worried, but I don't know if paint will hold up on the inside either
-I wanted to do a carved foam hill, but I know that also needs to be sealed. I haven't seen much for beardie safe foam sealants so I'm lost there
-Finally, caulking. I want to caulk around the perimeter to help keep in heat, but i have the same concerns there as I do with polyurethane
Do you guys have any trusted brands you could recommend? Much appreciated

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd go with plywood since it's quite a bit lighter than melamine coated wood. Using polyurethane to seal it is fine, just give it plenty of time to cure. Using a non toxic caulk should work. I'm not sure about sealing foam though as I've never worked with foam before.

Darkestfallen

Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
If you shape the foam, then cover it with grout you can purchase non toxic sealers online. Just Google "no toxic grout sealer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom