Do I need to seal slate tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! I'm very new to the community. I'm setting up my first viv for a baby dragon. Going with natural slate tile for substrate. I know I don't need to grout the tiles together, but I'm wondering if I need to seal the tiles?

I haven't worked with slate before today, and am noticing a lot of dust as I cut it. Is the slate dust a respiratory concern for my beardie or will it not be an issue once it's in place in the viv/I'm not cutting it anymore? If I do need to seal it, can you recommend a sealant I should use?

Thank you!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
It is best not to seal them, thus making them easy to clean. The dust only happens when cut. This is a very good choice for the health of your dragon. I am glad you are researching this ahead of time, most don't, which is sad.

badfreshly

Original Poster
Gormagon":ijzlo7wa said:
It is best not to seal them, thus making them easy to clean. The dust only happens when cut. This is a very good choice for the health of your dragon. I am glad you are researching this ahead of time, most don't, which is sad.

That's great news, thanks so much for replying :)

Billyb0b

I don't understand how is not sealing it making it easier to clean. Isn't slate tile porouse? Wouldn't that make it harder to clean/disinfect?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Billyb0b":1lu1yiic said:
I don't understand how is not sealing it making it easier to clean. Isn't slate tile porouse? Wouldn't that make it harder to clean/disinfect?
OP was talking about grouting the tile. Also slate is not as porous as it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom