First DIY VIV need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Hey guys I’m planning on making a custom viv for my beardie and later my Leo but I honestly don’t know what to do :/. I’ve read about styrofoam being used but is this the best option and if so what should I use to waterproof it and make if generally safe for the beardie. Excavator clay sounds much easier but is it safe? It sounds ok except I heard one person say it can overheat and burn your beardie. Does anyone have ideas/steps I could use. I’m in no rush my beardie/Leo are doing just fine as is but I would like to upgrade them to something nicer in the future.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would use sealed plywood for the enclosure with a glass sliding or drop down door on the front. For the items inside, I prefer using things like driftwood and rocks because they're pretty easy to clean and are a bit more natural than foam items. A lot of people use the foam with success though so I'd just keep browsing this subforum and enclosures for ideas if that's the route you want to take.

NovaStaar

Hi, I'm planning an enclosure as well! I recently got my beardie along with all his previous equipment just about 2 months ago but I think a bigger enclosure would make him even happier. He is about 8 years old just in case you were wondering.
Right now I'm still in the planning stages however I do have a 3d model that I made as a reference if you want to use it.
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/9AJJco39Ubz
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0oJ5x3YqlHS
The dimensions are 1 mm=1 in adding up to about 52"Lx18"Dx27"H for the whole structure. It is specifically designed for a certain space so you might need to edit the design if you do use it. This is where it is supposed to fit along with Frank's (my beardie) current setup:
full

(he was a little grumpy because I had to rearrange his tank in order to fit his hide and his tree, he's much happier with it now)
Because the space in an open stairwell and a bit awkward do reach the left side of the tank, I designed it to have sliding doors and a slide out extension so Frank can have somewhere to walk right out of the enclosure without falling.

I'd love to hear how your diy viv goes. I probably won't be able to build my for a bit because I need to get the money and have my dad see if there are any other improvements that can be made. I'll let you know if anything pops up with it!

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi sorry I probably phrased my question wrong. I’m not going to build a viv, I’m actually going to buy one. I’m actually looking for a custom landscape :)

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Talked to the guy I bought my leopard gecko from. He said they can still ingest styrofoam:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom