Rock solid answer to my method of madness ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My method of madness is to find a CLEAR (preferably matte) Hard coat to top coat( aka seal ) my mixture of madness that is just great stuff expanding foam ( pond and stone version) with play sand embedded and adhered to it.
Please bump or comment if curious.
To be clear, as i made structures with the great stuff foam I sprinkled sand all over it and pressed it in before the foam cured. It is safe, it has the look I want, the textrue it needs, and now all I need is something clear to paint or spray DIRECTLY ONTO the expanding foam to give it a more rock like strength.
I have tested one option that seemed promising
This is my test piece of spray foam with sand embedded into it.
100547-855461904.jpg
Then I added the wood glue in the background diluted with water to coat it. It ended up hardening the surface a good amount but still gave into a firm press between my fingers( have to mention it did not crack or flake just bent and lazily regained its original form) was a bit glossier than I'd have liked it as you can maybe see here.
100547-9932030038.jpg
But it still falls so slightly short of my expectations. I'm Just wondering if their isn't a better hardening coat option?

Smilobar

When I made my decor for my beardies, I used foam sheets, and I found the best and strongest method is this:

Make whatever you want out of foam sheets or spray foam, sculpt it the way you want, and then you can use either grout mix (can be colored/dyed with cement color, very easy to find at Home Depot or Lowe's, I didn't have any on hand so I stuck with the grey lol) or use Hot Foam Factory's Foam Sealer. I have used both and they're amazing! This is where your strength and durability will come from. You would do one layer, let it dry, and then continue to add and dry layers for strength.

Then I painted it with acrylic paints, let it dry, and then sealed it with Polyvine Decorator's Varnish Dead Flat Finish. What I LOVE about this stuff is it goes on milky, but dries completely clear with NO shine at all! It's non-hazardous, water based, AND has UV protection so it won't turn yellow! I did a few coats of this, sprinkling in a bit of sand between coats for texture, and they've been holding up for years! Here's two hides I've made in the past:

Foam cut outs:
3125-5716934013.jpg

Adding grout/foam sealer (add water until the consistency is like soft serve ice cream or applesauce. Some like it soupy, others like it a little thicker for added texture and shape.)
3125-6731209238.jpg
3125-7436742712.jpg

Then I painted them with acrylic and the varnish. Can't even tell there's a sealer on it!
3125-7341104750.jpg
3125-4659312936.jpg

Hope this helps! This is also a great instructable that uses grout, if you haven't seen it already! https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fake-rock-cavebasking-spot-for-a-reptile-c/

Echoplexic

Original Poster
Smilobar":c0knfwag said:
When I made my decor for my beardies, I used foam sheets, and I found the best and strongest method is this:

Make whatever you want out of foam sheets or spray foam, sculpt it the way you want, and then you can use either grout mix (can be colored/dyed with cement color, very easy to find at Home Depot or Lowe's, I didn't have any on hand so I stuck with the grey lol) or use Hot Foam Factory's Foam Sealer. I have used both and they're amazing! This is where your strength and durability will come from. You would do one layer, let it dry, and then continue to add and dry layers for strength.

Then I painted it with acrylic paints, let it dry, and then sealed it with Polyvine Decorator's Varnish Dead Flat Finish. What I LOVE about this stuff is it goes on milky, but dries completely clear with NO shine at all! It's non-hazardous, water based, AND has UV protection so it won't turn yellow! I did a few coats of this, sprinkling in a bit of sand between coats for texture, and they've been holding up for years! Here's two hides I've made in the past:

Foam cut outs:
3125-5716934013.jpg

Adding grout/foam sealer (add water until the consistency is like soft serve ice cream or applesauce. Some like it soupy, others like it a little thicker for added texture and shape.)
3125-6731209238.jpg
3125-7436742712.jpg

Then I painted them with acrylic and the varnish. Can't even tell there's a sealer on it!
3125-7341104750.jpg
3125-4659312936.jpg

Hope this helps! This is also a great instructable that uses grout, if you haven't seen it already! https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-fake-rock-cavebasking-spot-for-a-reptile-c/
Wow that looks good but im planning to not use any grout or cement. So I'm curious does the polyvine decorators dead flat finish add any strength to the structure ? or is the strength due to the grout or cement and the finish just coat it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom