DIY Enclosure Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abriana8

Hey guys,
My dragon is currently in a 55 gallon enclosure and it's working for him, but I've been considering building a custom Viv that's longer just so he has even more room to move.

My main questions are:
What dimensions would be ideal for an adult dragon?
What type of wood is the safest (considering I'd be putting lights in the enclosure)
And what is the safest way to mount heat lamps inside a wooden enclosure?

I was thinking of doing a large wooden box with glass sliding doors that open in the front but still doing a screen top for ventilation (& lights)

Currently I have a hole cut in my screen top so there is no obstruction between the UVB light & my dragon. I would do a similar set up with the custom enclosure as well.Thoughts?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 55g is OK but they tend to be pretty narrow. Too much so for an adult in my opinion. If you build one, make it as large as you can given the space you have. I'd say 4'x2'x2' is a minimum for an adult. You can put a ceramic screw socket in the top over the basking area for the basking light and wire that to a dimmer so you can fine tune the output as needed (since you won't be able to adjust height). The UVB fixture can be screwed in next to that. A T5 is best for a large enclosure so I'd move to that if you don't have one already. The front opening doors are great. Either sliding doors or a drop down door with a latch will work. For ventilation I'd put a vent low on the cool side and high on the basking side which will allow air to flow well through the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom