DIY Rock Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, before I take the dive, I want to make sure it’s going to work. I once tried to follow this tutorial where they got styrofoam, used expanding foam to hold it together and give it a rock look, used grout to “paint it” and give it a rough rock look and then sealed it with polyurethane. My attempt did not work, so I ended up just buying actual pieces from the store.

I switched his enclosure from a 40 gallon tank to a melamine enclosure (I’m assuming melamine). I’d like to give him a background, but the enclosure is solid black. Purchasing a rock wall is difficult (odd dimensions) and expensive.

I would like to take the similar idea from the tutorial and make a rock wall myself. I was thinking of using cardboard as a base (as to not ruin my enclosure), spray it with the expanding foam (as I desire), spray paint it with a paint that dries rough (to look like rock) and seal it with polyurethane. Then just slide it snugly into the enclosure.

Would this work and be safe? Thanks for any responses!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It should be safe. I'm not sure how it will work though. Probably worth a try if you're looking for a 3d background. You could also print a large format photo of landscape and attach that to the back wall. It wouldn't be as interactive but would save space.

krystalnature

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1rifdrwk said:
It should be safe. I'm not sure how it will work though. Probably worth a try if you're looking for a 3d background. You could also print a large format photo of landscape and attach that to the back wall. It wouldn't be as interactive but would save space.

Yes, I’d like a background, but I read that adhesives are very dangerous and I’m not sure how to add one without adhesive? So, this was my option :/

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use a photo background and hold it up with glue dots. They work pretty well and don't interfere with the photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom