HerpLog software project

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Okay, so I hope this is the right discussion board for this! As a way of giving back to the community for all the help that has been given to me, and just as a project to bide the time with and have some general fun, I've been working on HerpLog for the past few months. An alpha version is nearly ready and at the moment, there are no binaries available because I feel it is not quite ready for a general release to the public yet for some testing, but just from the screenshots alone, what do people here think of it so far? Plus do you have any suggestions and/or ideas for it that I may take into consideration?

I've been working on it since early December on and off and it's come quite a fair way since then, but if you are interested to hear about when the alpha will be released as a binary for general testing (for both Microsoft Windows and Linux), then feel free to subscribe to the newsletter at that page. Emails will only be sent most intermittently so as not to create spam, and with regard to major updates at that. But yes, let me know what you think of this application, please, and if you would use it!

EDIT:
I plan on implementing charts as well, they just haven't been fully programmed in at this stage.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Very cool! This will be quite helpful to people. The fields are similar to what I have in my Google Sheet log for Darwin. You might want to add a field to indicate which food was offered on a day and perhaps a field for medication administered (or supplement, probiotic etc). Graphing for weight and showing a trendline would be extremely helpful as well. I wish I were better at coding so I could lend a more direct hand but I'll be happy to help test it and tweak requirements and interface if you'd like.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3sylq0m4 said:
Very cool! This will be quite helpful to people. The fields are similar to what I have in my Google Sheet log for Darwin. You might want to add a field to indicate which food was offered on a day and perhaps a field for medication administered (or supplement, probiotic etc). Graphing for weight and showing a trendline would be extremely helpful as well. I wish I were better at coding so I could lend a more direct hand but I'll be happy to help test it and tweak requirements and interface if you'd like.

I'm so glad to hear that you like it, especially coming from you! ^_^ And okies, I'll add those fields as soon as possible then, particularly the medication one :) I can't believe I overlooked a field as important as medication. There's a graph for 'weight vs time' in the works right now, but I'm not sure what other graphs to include. Do you or anyone else have any ideas?

The application is written in C++ and uses CMake as its build system, since I really enjoy that combination when coding projects. But yes, having people test this when the time comes for that will be very helpful indeed :)

EDIT: I also need people to spread the word about this project, provided they don't mind! Whether it be on Twitter, Google+, Facebook, or any other social media or forums. I want this to be as successful and popular as possible!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As far as graphs go, the weight over time is the main one and having a trendline to follow is very helpful. More so than watching daily ups and downs. The trend indicates health more than the actual numbers in a lot of cases.

I haven't coded in C or C++ in 15 years so I doubt I'd be much help there :lol:

Using the #beardeddragon tag on Twitter may help reach more people. I can't be much more help than that on the social media front though. This site is pretty much my social media =)

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":n9qpa6l2 said:
As far as graphs go, the weight over time is the main one and having a trendline to follow is very helpful. More so than watching daily ups and downs. The trend indicates health more than the actual numbers in a lot of cases.

I haven't coded in C or C++ in 15 years so I doubt I'd be much help there :lol:

Using the #beardeddragon tag on Twitter may help reach more people. I can't be much more help than that on the social media front though. This site is pretty much my social media =)

Okies! I'll include a trend-line for sure :) QChart's makes programming graphs so easy, even in a language like C++ <3 But yeah, I'm using the Qt5 library for the GUI! I assume you develop in other languages these days, CooperDragon?

I didn't think about using the #beardeddragon hashtag, but that sounds great! I wonder if any Bearded Dragon accounts on Twitter would mind mentioning HerpLog when the time is right for a somewhat more stable release (than just a Alpha)...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't code anything except occasional batch scripts now. I try to avoid it since college. I hate coding =). Hopefully folks will pass it along if they see it via the tag. I'll send a link out on mine but I don't really have anyone paying much attention to what I say there. If you look at the bottom of the menu on the right side it shows tweets that are using that hashtag so you can get an idea of how it's being used. I just saw a tweet go through from VenusandSaturn who is also on here.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2t5mtwy0 said:
I don't code anything except occasional batch scripts now. I try to avoid it since college. I hate coding =). Hopefully folks will pass it along if they see it via the tag. I'll send a link out on mine but I don't really have anyone paying much attention to what I say there. If you look at the bottom of the menu on the right side it shows tweets that are using that hashtag so you can get an idea of how it's being used. I just saw a tweet go through from VenusandSaturn who is also on here.

Oh, I see! I actually thought hashtags were silly until now, holding little worth/utility XD I obviously come from a different era compared to the young people of today's world :p But thank you in advance for the mention!

I don't have many followers either compared to some people XD I only have 57 followers, which while I'm very proud of for having followed me, it's not exactly a very high number ^ ^; Oh well, I guess I was never destined for popularity either :p

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, so I've implemented some of the features requested by CooperDragon and others on a different forum than this one. They haven't been implemented into the backend yet, only into the GUI at this stage, but there's now a combobox where you can select just how much your reptile is shedding. It has options ranging from none/mild/moderate/extensive. I also added a field for notes on food and changed a pre-existing field to suggest that it can be used for medicine too. View the screenshots here! https://imgur.com/a/IySqq

95175-7775285165.jpg

95175-3325530747.jpg

What do people here think? And please keep anymore suggestions coming!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Pretty slick looking. Do you have any plans for web based mobile or app version? You content seems on point and it’s nice to see something not snake focused for a change.

Do you have an overview mode? Such as a calendar view or something? Something that would also be useful is equipment records, such as replacing UVB, heat light bulbs or fixtures.

Do you have experience with making web apps? I’ve a little project I’ve been kicking around that I hope someday to collaborate with a programmer on.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Taterbug":24r3asm0 said:
Pretty slick looking. Do you have any plans for web based mobile or app version? You content seems on point and it’s nice to see something not snake focused for a change.

Do you have an overview mode? Such as a calendar view or something? Something that would also be useful is equipment records, such as replacing UVB, heat light bulbs or fixtures.

Do you have experience with making web apps? I’ve a little project I’ve been kicking around that I hope someday to collaborate with a programmer on.

I do have plans for a mobile version at least, yes! It'll be sometime off in the future unless others wish to work with me on it, where I'll collaborate on standardized data structures with them and such, along with marketing :)

I've never considered a web based version, unless again, someone else wants to take up on collaborating with that. Sadly that's the only way a web-based version would ever happen unlike the mobile, because I have very little experience with web oriented languages and I hate personally touching PHP if that were to ever be chosen.

When you go to the browse tab currently, and click on one of the date/time boxes, a calendar pops up for you to choose a day, month, and year. I'm still playing around with how it works usability wise but you can also manually enter a time. Have a look at the third screenshot down on the Vitticeps page, it just sadly won't let me take a screenshot with the calendar open.

Equipment records sound like an excellent idea! I'll have to implement them as separate to the other log-entries somehow, which'll require a bit of programming... but I'm sure to stick that in! That's an awesome idea.

EDIT: I just realized what you meant by an overview mode! It'd be something similar to what you see in Google Calendar's monthly view, right? Thank you so much for the kind comments also :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Should keep you occupied for a while .... probably easier to write the GUIs in Java.

I'll stick with my Excel spreadsheet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom