Enclosure DIY help. What to use for basking light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would use a PAR38 halogen flood light. They are dimmable so you can fine tune the output using a lamp dimmer or dimming thermostat. That helps when the ceiling is fixed like that. I also advise using a different configuration for the vents. Put a vent low on the cool side and high on the warm side. That will allow for some convection movement through the vents. You may or may not need the back vents at all. I would also build it slightly taller if you can. The extra height will allow you to build more in terms of climbing areas.

MushuHemmi

Original Poster
Thank you, I've never done something like this, but I was thinking about the vent placement too. Would a flood light fixture work for this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd use a regular ceramic base screw in type fixture and wire that to a dimmer. You can just get a manual dial type dimmer that you could mount on the front of the tank or go with a more robust programmable one if you want. Put that on one side and then put a T5 24'' UVB fixture next to it (for a 22'' bulb) so you have them both over the basking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom