keeping cats off the top of the cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
95322-4604331916.jpg
95322-4111158876.jpg
i have 3 cats, all very curious, so when i moved Jean-Luc down to the living room, i was worried that the cats would jump on top of the viv. i came up with a very simple solution, which was to put toilet paper tubes on top of the viv. it doesn't restrict ventilation and for whatever reason, the cats will not jump on top of it!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great if it works for now, but be careful. One cat on the screen and it will be a disaster, their weight will collapse the screen. Try laying a few 4" planks of wood on top, about 6" apart in case one of them decides to jump up there. You can still have your t.p. rolls up there for extra protection. That's interesting that it seems to keep the cats away but I wouldn't trust it long term.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You can do everything possible to prevent it but, cats have a way of getting around obstacles. If just one of those three cats gets it in its devious head he wants to play with that scurrying little critter he will find a way. Unless these cats are older and, less active.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Electrify the top of the tank so when one of the darned cats gets up there it gets a jolt of DC current, if this happens a few times the cat will soon get the message.

BUT IN REALITY , these cats are actually not after a high spot to sit / lay, or just curious , they are after your dragon and WILL severely injure it or kill it if they are continued to be allowed access to the room where the dragon is housed, this is not a maybe, it's a dead certainty and only a matter of time .

If you have mesh lid, cover it with a heavy piece of plywood or MDF , this will
>> banish them forever from the room where the dragon is kept (easiest solution)
>> will help keep the dragon's tank warm overnight (the solid timber will insulate the tank and trap heat in ( amazing how many people on this site do not know "hot air rises" ) and insist on using those silly fish tanks with mesh lids to house their dragons
>> will mean you need a lower wattage in the basking globe to achieve a basking spot at about 100F and warm zone about 90F.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":1bxf0bqw said:
You can do everything possible to prevent it but, cats have a way of getting around obstacles. If just one of those three cats gets it in its devious head he wants to play with that scurrying little critter he will find a way. Unless these cats are older and, less active.

I'll not beat about the bush , this "play" is actually sadistic torturing (which continues until the victim is no longer able to move or the cat looses interest (becomes bored), domestic cats are usually so well fed they never eat the victim. They do this because they enjoy it.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":2mjvq9v5 said:
Gormagon":2mjvq9v5 said:

I'll not beat about the bush , this "play" is actually sadistic torturing (which continues until the victim is no long able to move or the cat looses interest (becomes bored), domestic cats are usually so well fed they never eat the victim. They do this because they enjoy it.
I know! I was just trying to keep from getting bashed on the head for saying kill instead of play. We all know what play means when it comes to cats. I was being sarcastic, lol!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":2f21dzmh said:
Electrify the top of the tank so when one of the darned cats gets up there it gets a jolt of DC current, if this happens a few times the cat will soon get the message.
110 ac would be better, IMO!

BUT IN REALITY , these cats are actually not after a high spot to sit / lay, or just curious , they are after your dragon and WILL severely injure it or kill it if they are continued to be allowed access to the room where the dragon is housed, this is not a maybe, it's a dead certainty and only a matter of time .

If you have mesh lid, cover it with a heavy piece of plywood or MDF , this will
>> banish them forever from the room where the dragon is kept (easiest solution)
>> will help keep the dragon's tank warm overnight (the solid timber will insulate the tank and trap heat in ( amazing how many people on this site do not know "hot air rises" ) and insist on using those silly fish tanks with mesh lids to house their dragons
>> will mean you need a lower wattage in the basking globe to achieve a basking spot at about 100F and warm zone about 90F.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Actually the ventilation is easy fixed .

Simply have some of these inserted into holes in the solid timber lid :

https://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-40mm-black-round-cupboard-vent_p0811770 in the warm end of the tank lid
==> only need 4 of these for a tank 2 feet wide to permit a small amount of warmed air leakage
==> want to force most the warmed air to convect around in the tank
==> means you'll need a lower wattage basking globe / MVB during the day and lower wattage CHE for overnight.

and two of these https://www.bunnings.com.au/haron-285-x-270mm-white-open-close-wall-vent_p0810091 over the cool end of the tank
==> adjustable (can even be closed)
==> will draw "fresh air" in when a small portion of the warmed air leaks out via the small round cupboard vents.

People here in Australia use these types of vents in their timber vivs which have sliding glass front doors and the snakes, skinks, dragons, geckos, frogs and monitors don't suffocate at all. This is the kind of arrangement I've used for years for my two BT's 4ft L x 2ft W x 1.5ft T tanks and my 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T beardie tanks.

I have the same problem. My 2 kitties love to lay on top of the tank. Not after draggie, but just because it's warm there. Problem is, my kitties are big enough to bust open the lid!! I have to keep fixing it! But everything they break it, the lid degrades and it gets harder to fix. I'm worried eventually it won't be able to be fixed, and I'll have to buy a new lid! I'd much rather have my kitties stay off of it...

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
DragonRabbit":16af43ks said:
I have the same problem. My 2 kitties love to lay on top of the tank. Not after draggie, but just because it's warm there. Problem is, my kitties are big enough to bust open the lid!! I have to keep fixing it! But everything they break it, the lid degrades and it gets harder to fix. I'm worried eventually it won't be able to be fixed, and I'll have to buy a new lid! I'd much rather have my kitties stay off of it...
Yes, they are there watching and waiting for the chance. Not to mention ....your dragon is living in constant fear and is most likely stressed out. You need to put a halt to what those cats are doing.....pronto.

I have three cats as well, but only one of them — Savvy — really cares enough to jump up. And she has jumped on top a LOT (I am actually amazed the screen has held for so long because she is not a small cat) I can't really let her in my room without me in there too. At night when I want any of the cats to snuggle with me (after all, it's only Savvy who makes trouble) I use two lacrosse sticks and put a wooden board on top of them so Savvy won't break the screen and can't scare Ozzi. All she does is lay on top of the screen and stare down, flicking her tail. But I'd imagine that'd scare Ozzi if he woke up in the dark and saw a black shape blocking his ceiling-view. Is it ironic that I'm writing a post about only one of my cats freaking out while another one is starting to freak out behind me?

Random question, but wouldn't it be creepy if one of your cats just walks in and says, "Hey! Heyyy! Let me out!!! LET ME OUT!!!" in the middle of the night? :lol: 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom