tile questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purperc

We're building an enclosure so Spike can move up into bigger and better spaces. It is 4'x2'x2', made of wood with a sliding glass front.

We have purchased some tile after researching different floor options. My question for those of you who have it is how to seal under the tile to keep liquids out? I'm worried liquids will seep down between the tiles. We are thinking of putting contact paper down, but what else?

Also, how big of a tile do you find is good? We bought 12" tiles but are considering switching to 6" square. I think it will be easier for my son to handle when he swaps them to clean, but that also means more cracks for liquids to run down. I'd love to hear feedback from people who are already using tile. Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use 2 18x18'' tiles side by side in my enclosure. It's glass rather than wood though. I'd seal the wood well to protect it from moisture either way. I like having the loose tiles because I can pop them out to clean and sanitize them and clean underneath them.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I use rough textured tile in 12" x 12" squares. I do not have them grouted or stuck down for the same reason CooperDragon does. Easy to keep them cleaned.
You can put down some shelf liner under then to make it easier to clean under them.

Purperc

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses! I'm still interested to hear what others are doing, especially how to seal the wood under the tile.

Another question that is semi-related: we're feeding dubia roaches, which can't climb out current glass cage but I imagine will be able to climb the wood. What are people using to keep them down where they belong?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I mostly feed roaches outside of the tank (on the kitchen floor) and feed them one at a time so they are easy to track. I don't leave live bugs in the tank after meal times. Just a salad. The roach colony is in a glass tank with a mesh top that they aren't able to climb out of.

Purperc

Original Poster
Oh, I like the ceramic dish idea. Right now we've got a glass tank and they just run and hide under something before they get eaten. This would keep them in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom