DIY Basking Platform Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

Hey Everyone,

So I just finished building a Basking Platform for my Bearded dragon tank and I bought Polycrylic Water Based finish to seal it up. Now, in the video I watched on how to do it, the lady didn't mention how long to wait before placing it inside the viv, but she also used Polyvine varnish (I would of used that but Home Depot didn't have it).

Anyway, what is a good rule-of-thumb here on knowing when its safe to place it inside the viv? I was gonna wait a week but I'm slightly worried that wont be long enough.

Here's a pic of it so far. I'm super excited to get it in the viv!
93938-3132840875.jpg

Also, just for funsies, if you made your own platform, feel free to post a pic. I love pics of DIY projects. :D

Thirsh

This looks awesome! I’ve been thinking of doing something like that also but I don’t know how to find that specific foam u can carve “stones” out of.

halima16

Original Poster
Thirsh":26lt6exk said:
This looks awesome! I’ve been thinking of doing something like that also but I don’t know how to find that specific foam u can carve “stones” out of.

Well I didn't put that much detail into mine, obviously, but I just bought Styrofoam from home-depot. It was a ton of Styrofoam for pretty cheap!

Then I just added layer after layer. A lot of people carve theirs after assembling it and can carve any Styrofoam.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well I'm sure it's in your tank now, but for future reference you can usually speed up the curing process by leaving it out in the sun, or setting it up under a basking light to off gas. Generally speaking, if the product has stopped putting off an odor, it has stopped off gassing and is safe for your tank now. But take that as a generalization, since not all sealers are the same. A lot of times you can look up their msds online or look a the products website to find out for your specific product.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom